Author Topic: Gori folding propeller and vibrations in rudder and steering wheels  (Read 3887 times)

EvenK

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2016
I have a 2015 Bavaria Vision 42 fitted with a 3 blade Gori folding propeller. (+Volvo Penta D2-55 engine and S-130 sail drive). I am experiencing quite strong vibrations in the rudder/steering wheels when motoring. My local dealer, who unfortunately went bankrupt this summer, has not been able to confirm whether this is a normal situation or not. Is there anyone out there who have the same experience?

Thanks.

EvenK

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
I had strong vibrations on the rudder of my B36(2002) a few years ago which I noticed particularly while motoring, though it was still present to a lesser extent when sailing. When the boat was next lifted out of the water I found there was quite substantial sideways movement when pulling the bottom of the rudder to port and starboard, and so I had the rudder bearings changed which made a big difference. Your boat is very new, so your rudder bearings should not be worn out yet.
Earlier this year I picked up a fishermans marker buoy which had got caught up around the propeller, and that created quite a bit of vibration, but which was mainly on the sail drive though it did also affect the steering. However once the buoy and short length of rope had been removed after giving the engine a short run in astern, and picked up so as not to leave a problem for someone else, the vibration disappeared.
I'd be inclined to check for lateral movement of the rudder at your next lift out, but in the meantime I would suggest you report the problem to your local Bavaria importer in Norway, as there may be a warranty issue on a boat that is barely one year old. Lastly I invested in a waterproof video camera several years ago which enables me to take a close look at the under water fittings on the boat, particularly the propeller, to make sure that there is nothing hanging on that should not be there. It is mounted on a long telescopic pole so that an underwater inspection can be done with nothing more than my fingers getting wet.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
The first thing to do is don Mask & Snorkel and check you haven't got line around the prop- that's the most common cause.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Was this evident when the boat was new? Has it always been fitted with the Gori prop? Has it started recently?

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Is it solely rudder vibration and not prop/saildrive vibration?

You can check saildrive vibration by looking at the top of the saildrive or placing your hand on the saildrive/transmission behind the engine.

If it is purely rudder vibration, and if it is happening constantly, it is likely to be a bearing problem. They may not be adjusted correctly.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Pax

• Swab
I also have a 2015 Bavaria Vision 42 with a Gori 3-blade prop, but the smaller Volvo D2-40 engine. I too notice significant vibration of the wheels under power, but also noticed it on a Cruiser 46 and a Vision 42 with fixed prop, that I test sailed prioir to buying my Vision. I suspect it is because the sterndrive prop wash is horizontal and it strikes the rudder with some force. Shaft drives direct the prop wash at an angle and there is less impact on the rudder.

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
I have a Gori 3 blade on a D2-40 in my Vision 40. I get no vibration of either prop or rudder when all are clean. A few barnacles on prop blades can give some vibration. I do get a little bumping in the rudder (I don't consider this vibration) at 2500 rpm due to wash off the prop.