Author Topic: Auto gas fire extinguisher for engine compartment  (Read 3507 times)

Twhitt

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
Auto gas fire extinguisher for engine compartment
« on: August 12 2016, 18:37 »
Just got a 38 Holiday, and surveyor has recommended an automatic fire supression system for engine compartment.

Seen a few online, but not sure what size extinguisher is needed. Anybody else fitted one?

Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Auto gas fire extinguisher for engine compartment
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2016, 22:22 »
You calculate the size to suit the volume of the compartment. The manufacturers will provide the data to give the calculation for their equipment.

Note it is only a recommendation and not everybody is a fan of automatic extinguishers.

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 13 2016, 08:24 »
Try Simplyextinguishers, I have a wet bulb automatic extinguisher in my engine from them and it's fine, it's DP so would be messy if went off but that would be the least of my problems in that case.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: August 13 2016, 08:58 »
If installing an extinguisher, I would also refrain from an automatic release as a false release can be very costly.

A powder type will ruin your engine, a CO2 type can kill you if you are below deck (and I think is therefore not allowed in such installations) and even for FM200 type the common practice is to evacuate prior to release.

So probably install an alarm and have the discharge manual.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 13 2016, 11:20 »
When I did my firefighting homework, I found that the thing to use in engine rooms is a halon replacement gas, which is residue free. Here's a number of sizes: http://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireblitz-automatic-fe36-fire-extinguisher/

Haven't fitted one yet. I have however noticed that my originally installed automatic halon (pre-replacement era) extinguisher was empty, despite the bulb being intact (and no obvious holes from corrosion or such). That made me wonder a bit. At least I won't have to worry about disposing of the contents :-P
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Twhitt

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: August 13 2016, 11:55 »
Yes have been looking at the clean agent gas extinguishers, which look like they will suffice.

It was a survey recommendation, and insurance company wants all recommended actions completing before I move the boat! Trouble is boat is in South of France, but you cant ship extinguishers, so trying to find somewhere in SOF that sells them.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: August 13 2016, 13:32 »
When I did my firefighting homework, I found that the thing to use in engine rooms is a halon replacement gas, which is residue free. Here's a number of sizes: http://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireblitz-automatic-fe36-fire-extinguisher/

Note that these are meant for not particularly hot rooms - max working temperature is 60C and discharge is set to 79C (which can also be 74C). I believe that occasionally an engine compartment can reach well above 60C. Maybe other vendors have different bulbs.
I would do a "worst case" temperature check (hot day, several hours of operation) and take a good margin above that for the discharge temperature.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 13 2016, 19:05 »
The halon replacement is a good option as cleaner but more expensive to purchase and like all extinguishers need replacement every 5 years to be 'indate'. The bulb actuation on a DP extinguisher is 79 degrees centigrade so I would be very concerned if my engine bay on a modest yacht was reaching that temperature.  Frankly if you an engine bay fire then you need quick suppression to prevent it spending via plastics and other materials in the engine bay and surrounding areas.  If not then fire will take hold quickly, therefore my view is some suppression is important.  I have had DP extinguishes fitted now for 7 years with no problems.  However don't forget the best prevention is good maintenance, annual servicing and daily engine checks.