Author Topic: C70 Chartplotter  (Read 4895 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
C70 Chartplotter
« on: August 02 2016, 12:04 »
My c70 just died, switched it on this morning and I couldn't see the screen hardly - not enough to find the right button to put it back to day mode- I assumed I had left it in night mode. After a few button pushes I gave up and powered down at the main CB panel but when I switched it back on it is completely dead - no responses or bleeps to any of the buttons . The manual says to check the fuse. Anyone know if there is an in line fuse somewhere.??? I don't want to take plotter panel off yet as I am at sea. It's on a Bav 39

Edit, just checked the back and there is power to the unit so I suspect it is deceased unless there is a fuse inside it - been meaning to open it up for ages to reseat the screen ribbon cable. Will have to look at what I can replace it with unless I find a cheap working c70 out there

[Topic split from old thread by Nigel]

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: C70 Chartplotter
« Reply #1 on: August 04 2016, 08:18 »
Doubt if it is a 'fuse' problem as it would have just died immediately. As there appears to be no other option, try the ribbon cable 'fix', the unit is easily dis-assembled. Although I didn't have the same symptoms as you, taking it apart and refitting did it for me when I lost my screen to blue/white mush with horizontal black lines  ::)

Note: my ribbon cable was too tight to remove but just playing around with the thing may resolve the issue - it did for me

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: August 04 2016, 09:27 »
If you think it has "deceased" then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by opening it up and taking a look >:D

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 04 2016, 20:18 »
Opened it up, can't see anything obvious unfortunately - looks like I will need new radome as well as the new models won't work with the old radome, not sure why - progress!

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 07 2016, 13:57 »
So whilst at anchor for the last few days I had the unit off and disassembled and the hole in the binnacle taped over. Moved the boat out and found the autopilot control dead - wondered if I needed chart plotter plugged in to the sea talk network for it to work. So plugged it back in but found a cable had come off the ap control hence the reason that wasn't working. Miraculously the c70 is alive again.

Except the chart card doesn't seem to work as no detailed display and the radome plug was being a real pain to plug back in - found that 2 thin pins were not aligned properly and despit carefully adjusting them the plug would not go in. Eventually they broke so no radar anyway.

I'll post what replacement I end up with.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 07 2016, 17:09 »
Edit, just checked the back and there is power to the unit so I suspect it is deceased unless there is a fuse inside it

Moved the boat out and found the autopilot control dead - wondered if I needed chart plotter plugged in to the sea talk network for it to work. So plugged it back in but found a cable had come off the ap control hence the reason that wasn't working. Miraculously the c70 is alive again.

I'm bewildered.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 07 2016, 17:24 »
If your C70 is powered from the Seatalk network, then it's likely that the cable you found unplugged from your autopilot had broken the circuit and hence no power to your chart plotter. As for the lack of input from the chart card, it's likely that the contacts on the card or more likely on the card reader are dirty or corroded. You might manage to clean those contacts sufficiently to get it working by repeatedly inserting and removing the chart card, or with very gently wiping the card reader contacts with some very fine wet and dry sand paper supported on the end of some stiff card.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 08 2016, 06:34 »
Hi salty, the ap disconnect was just a result of its own power lead dropping out when I was opening up the console. Will have a go at the chart card contacts.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 09 2016, 09:04 »
I think this c70 is trying to tell me something - the chart card isn't being read as one of the pins seems to have got bent, how that is possible I have no idea as I haven't been poking around down that deep slot where they are and the chart card is well aligned by the housing when you slide it in. Going to dismantle the thing again to see if I can get to the pins the back way and straighten that one

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 09 2016, 11:34 »
............Going to dismantle the thing again to see if I can get to the pins the back way and straighten that one

If it's anything like my old RL70, then I don't think it's possible to get to the pins from the back, probably part of the water proofing of the instrument.