Author Topic: Door stop  (Read 5684 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Door stop
« on: July 07 2016, 12:00 »
http://www.screwfix.com/p/magnetic-door-holder-polished-chrome/79644
Replaced the forward berth door hook stay to stop the annoying clattering when the door is held open.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Door stop
« Reply #1 on: July 20 2016, 14:39 »
Just purchased two,  thanks for the tip.

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 20 2016, 23:53 »
Just purchased 3.
Can't wait to get out to Greece to fit them.
Thanks for the tip.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 21 2016, 20:57 »
now the only question will be whether the aft cabin doors will stand out too much when open as the door stop will keep it further off the engine bay than the hook. I hadn't changed them yet as the guests haven't complained!! I was looking for a shorter door stop of similar design but not found one yet.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: July 21 2016, 23:31 »
I have two concerns that keep me from doing this:

1. Compass/Fluxgate compass interference
2. Magnets not strong enough and the door flailing around in rough conditions

Good luck to you though - hope my concerns are misplaced :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

mikeiso1192

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 22 2016, 11:16 »
I can understand Yngmar's concern.

However from my perspective;
The magnets on my cockpit speakers are equally as strong and located far closer to both my fluxgate compass and also my steering compass.
As for flailing around in heavy weather, I don't see why the hook arrangement cannot also be retained. What the magnetic hooks will do is stop that annoying chattering day and night (way too hot to sleep with doors closed in the Med).

Mike

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: July 24 2016, 09:42 »
My concern is about the magnet getting ugly rusty, because it's pure iron and not stainless steel. Althought I have a strong magnet strip in the kitchen with the bigger cutting knifes on it. They beautifully stay on it, even in rougher sea, and no trace of rust, yet.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 25 2016, 02:11 »
I have magnetic cabin door latches. Great at anchor but do not trust them in a seaway, they will NOT hold doors open in any kind of heel. Probably like most folks I always ensure my cabin doors are shut at sea since they can shut without warning and if you have hold of the doorframe..... ouch at best !
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
« Reply #8 on: July 26 2016, 07:43 »
I admit that my solution is not aesthetic but I find it very effective (I would not use a door stop because doors on my boat open towards the saloon and I do not want something protruding that my foot can hit accidentally)
I use a length of thin bungy cord (4mm if I remember correctly) - one end is tied to the holding bars that runs along the saloon top sides  -the ends of the bars are close to the doors. the other end has a small loop. When door is open the cord goes around the handle, back to the top bar and loop inserted on the bar end. Length of the cord is such that it holds the door very good when boat is on calm water. When healing it stretches a bit but door does not move much. Only in rolling condition the doors may start oscilating back and forth but they almost never reach the door frame and at this stage I shut them anyway.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 28 2016, 18:43 »
Well, I went to Screwfix this morning and bought one of these door stops.  When you take it out of its plastic bag, it does indeed seem to have an incredibly strong magnet.  So this afternoon I decided to fit it to the forecabin door.  More than an hour later, I came to the conclusion that this incredibly strong magnet is only incredibly strong when it's perfectly aligned.  A fraction of a millimetre out of alignment, and it's much less strong.  Take care when fitting!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: July 28 2016, 18:59 »
My hooks haven't rattled since I put a turn of self-amalgamating tape around them last winter. Possibly not the most stylish solution, but then they're hidden behind the door most of the time :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #11 on: August 05 2016, 21:19 »
My hooks haven't rattled since I put a turn of self-amalgamating tape around them last winter. Possibly not the most stylish solution, but then they're hidden behind the door most of the time :)

There you go. Best and simpliest solution  :tbu to a major ( :o) problem. I give you a like.
Try it tomorrow while I'm on board.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 06 2016, 10:17 »
Forgot to mention that the forward cabin door hook was very prone to jumping out when in moderate seas - so far the magnet has not failed in heavy seas. But if I remember I tend to shut the door in heavy weather. Th main advantage has been the ease of access by the wife to the wardrobes behind the door.