Author Topic: Rutgerson genoa track repair or replacement  (Read 3396 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Rutgerson genoa track repair or replacement
« on: January 13 2014, 12:18 »
I have a broken genoa track.  At the forward end where the track end and pulley attach. I have the pieces so  initially thought  about joining the track together - butt joint - with a new through  deck  fixing either pinning both the track  end  and the track together  or separately. Drilling and tapping the embedded steel plate - assumming it extends to  full  length of the track. But maybe I should replace the whole track  but wonder what difficulties this might entail. How easy will the screws come out? I notice that the track  appears to  have a curve to  it (ocean 47)so  could this be a cause of difficulty when fitting the new track   

stardust

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 38
Re: Rutgerson genoa track repair or replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2014, 17:12 »
The Genoa track on my BAV38 pulled out and broke in two in about 20 knts of wind. fortunately no parts were lost and we managed to complete our journey. On checking the bolts half would not tighten ,It was impossible to locate the aluminium strip that the bolts fitted into as they were totally in accessable. I handed the job to a man with more resources than me and basically he drilled and tapped new holes in the deckand backing metal strip and fitted a new track from rutgerson. The track was bolted initially every other hole in the track ,he used different holes.Also doing the same on the other side.It was a couple of years ago so my memory may be wrong but I think the track was flexible enough to fit the contour of thedeck.This was in Spain
Hope this helps

Bill Francis

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
Re: Rutgerson genoa track repair or replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 24 2014, 12:32 »
thanks for the info bill