Author Topic: Vision 44 salon sofa?  (Read 4672 times)

xlnt

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 44
  • Boat Year: 2008
Vision 44 salon sofa?
« on: June 15 2016, 12:05 »
Looking for the two-seat sofa in the salon, tips on where to get a new one?

Thanks

-XLNT

xlnt

• Swab
Re: Vision 44 salon sofa?
« Reply #1 on: September 16 2016, 13:07 »
Bump - Anyone?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 16 2016, 14:45 »
DFS?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 16 2016, 15:52 »
DFS?

As the OP is in Norway, I fear that may go over his head!  ;D

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: September 16 2016, 17:50 »
Looking for the two-seat sofa in the salon, tips on where to get a new one?

Thanks

-XLNT

Why do you need a two seat sofa, is it to replace what was originally fitted or is it an addition that you want?
If it is a replacement you need, have you considered getting the one originally fitted refurbished or reupholstered? You could take it to a firm that makes furniture or who can reupholster it, and the cost could well be much less than buying a new one.

xlnt

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: September 20 2016, 10:28 »
Hi
What is "DFS"?
The sofa was taken out and thrown away by the previous owner. So I was thinking of getting a new one. Now I am just using a storage box to sit on where the bench used to be.
-XLNT

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: September 20 2016, 11:38 »
Hi
What is "DFS"?
The sofa was taken out and thrown away by the previous owner. So I was thinking of getting a new one. Now I am just using a storage box to sit on where the bench used to be.
-XLNT

The bench by the main cabin table? Why would anyone throw that away...  >:(

Anyways, you're probably shit outta luck on that. You could ask your local Bavaria reseller, or Bavaria themselves, but even if the boat is still in production it would be unlikely either of them are willing/able to help, as unlike the transom seat on certain cruisers, this bench isn't a commonly lost or destroyed part, and cost and shipping would be positively hilarious even if they dug one up for you.

Your best bet is to get a good chippy (carpenter) with boat experience and show him some broker photos you can find on the internet. It's a difficult piece because of the curved backrest, and you do not want sharp corners there because that's where your groin is when you go forward. Any upholstery company will be able to make cushions to spec, although it's doubtful they can find a matching fabric.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

xlnt

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: September 20 2016, 13:24 »
Yeah, I totally agree, it should have been put in storage and not thrown away.  Yes, I am afraid the cost would be rocket high, but a chippy doing it cheap here in Norway is like winning the lottery as well. :'(
If anyone know of any damaged Bavarias out there, maybe they would sell me the bench before sending it to the destruction grind.  ;) :tbu

-XLNT

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: September 20 2016, 18:30 »
Thanks xlnt for providing that extra information, it makes things a whole lot clearer. I'm not a carpenter, but as I see it the major problem with replacement of the settee for carpenter, apart from the cost, would be that moulded back rest. The seat basically consists of a "nicely finished" wooden box with rounded corners for the base unit, not too difficult to fabricate, and with a decent foam filled cushion on top, very easy for a reupholsterer to fabricate. Do you need a backrest? Only you can decide, but a number of 37s some years ago did not have back rests fitted to that item where it was only for sitting on while eating a meal, not somewhere to get too comfortable and stay there long into the evening while looking after a glass of something special !!
Perhaps on account of the costs in Norway, you could make up a specification for what you wanted, along with Yngmar's photo and ask for a carpenter in one of the nearby countries to make what you want, and give you a price, and then there is an excuse to sail over to pick it up !

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 20 2016, 22:06 »
I had a 2005 Cruiser 42. The central sofa looks the same as this one so yu might want to look at those models too....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #10 on: September 21 2016, 06:44 »
Hi

This could be one solution.
Much more easier to build and probably cost effective as well...
Look like Bavaria current models.
(Random picture from Google..)

xlnt

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: September 21 2016, 08:39 »
I think I just have to make my own some day. Did a ottoman for my previous boat and was satisfied with that :)
But if I found a original Bavaria bench with backrest it would have been nice too  :tbu

http://www.jeanneau-owners.com/hintsandtips/ottoman.html

-XLNT