Author Topic: Forward cabin leak - stanchions?  (Read 9613 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Forward cabin leak - stanchions?
« Reply #25 on: April 21 2020, 11:03 »
Shine, that's not the deck/hull joint you've caulked there, it's just a gap between the rubrail and the toerail.

The actual deck/hull joint becomes apparent when you remove the stainless rubbing strake and then the teak rubrail it sits on. The toerail does not need to be removed for this.

Once those are off, you will probably find the same as me, the sealant on the joint being not very well applied and having gaps. I've raked it out and injected new sealant in the joint, then installed rubrail and stainless rubbing strake again. Still have to do the other side some day, as we only had access to one side that winter (did it afloat from the dinghy).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #26 on: April 23 2020, 23:35 »
Thank you Yngmar! I'm aware that it's not the joint, but hoped as a quick-ish fix, that I could fill the gap I did- this blocking the source of ingress to the actual joint. I didn't realize that the teak rub rail was so easy to remove- it seems from your description that the screws are hidden behind the stainless strip? I had removed a few of the screws in the stainless and found nothing so gathered that it must have been attached from the inside :(.

Hello! I have an additional question about the actual stanchions. I removed the penny washers and nut underneath the pin, and the stanchion from the top, but the large section seemed stuck under the toe rail.

I've read through all of the stanchion posts but can't find anyone discussing this. It seemed to me that the stanchion pin was placed and then the toe rail fitted over it. Have others experienced this?

Boat is a Bavaria 42 ocean. As a temporary measure, I filled the well where the pin sits with LifeCaulk and replaced the stanchion until drier days come.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #27 on: April 24 2020, 15:52 »
Yes, the screw holding the teak rubrail are countersunk and hidden under the stainless strip. Take the strips off and you'll spot them. They're shockingly long screws, so make sure you get the exactly right screwdriver/bit and carefully undo them - some torque is needed but none snapped off, I even managed to get the bent ones out (removed rubrail after a little incident with a badly designed fuel quay).

The stanchion stud will come out if you remove the stanchion from the top, then stick a pin in the screw hole on the stud and turn it counter-clockwise. It's bedded in (failing) sealant and threaded along the entire length, so it will slowly screw out that way. Easier than trying to hammer it out from below and you won't risk damaging the threads.

On the Ocean series toerail, I had to undo and rebed all of the stanchion studs as well as the mooring cleats, as most were leaking.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Shine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 42
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #28 on: April 24 2020, 21:08 »
Thank you Yngmar. I'll probably start working my way around the deck and rebedding the deck fittings.