Author Topic: Bavaria 31 Shoal Draft Version  (Read 3320 times)

Brian140

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bavaria 31 Shoal Draft Version
« on: May 04 2016, 14:11 »
I'm currently looking at a Bavaria 31 Cruiser with the rare tandem shoal draft keel. Are there any owners of similar versions of this keel can let me know their thoughts.
The boat itself looks great and has all the features we'd want but the rareness of the keel is food for thought because of the unknown.
The shallow keel would definitely be an advantage sailing around the East Coast of Essex and Kent!!!!

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Bavaria 31 Shoal Draft Version
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2016, 16:00 »
I have a Bav 30 with the tandem keel.  I wouldn't necessarily have chosen it (boat was 2nd hand) and on the West Coast of Scotland it's rare to worry about depth.  I haven't sailed a fin keel version, either normal or shallow draft, so I don't have anything to compare directly with, but I certainly don't have any complaints about performance.  I wouldn't let it put you off if the boat is otherwise in good condition.  My hull has been coppercoated, but there's a few rust spots breaking through on the keel itself, plus the bottom of the bulb was not coppercoated so has got quite a bit of surface rust.  it's definitely worth getting the surveyor to give an opinion on the state of the keel.  Opinions vary on getting it sandblasted and re-epoxied, or just wire brushing and sticking more anti-foul on and forgetting about it.  I would suggest condition is as much a consideration as fin vs tandem.  Oh, you need to get used to the lads on the hoist asking if you know you have a hole in your keel (every year).

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2016, 20:46 »
I have a 2009 B31 Cruiser and love the boat. Mine is a full keel and like all of the rust comes through on the bottom every year when I luft her, despite antifouling and the barrier coats (and re applications). I've learned not to stew about it.

There were only 3 B31s that I know of sold in Canada, one of which was a shoal draft to a guy I corresponded with for a few years from Ontario (he sailed and raced it on the Great Lakes, but has since sold it and I don't have a contact for him). In any event, I think he was very happy with the keel he choose, and I never heard any complaints about it from him.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you to buy the boot. It's well built, a great size for a couple and easy to solo and dock.

Riyad
s/v "Battuta"
Vancouver, Canada

Sjn

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2016, 19:14 »
I have a Bavaria 33 with tandem keel and the only downside is if you sail racing You need to reef the sail earlier otherwise you will get a to big  drift on the boat
Otherwise, the shallow keel perfect in the basic water.
I don't regret that i have chosen the shalow keel.

Brian140

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 17 2016, 20:12 »
Thanks for the information and advice. I've had an offer accepted and will soon become a Bavaria owner.