Author Topic: Holding tank hoses  (Read 2818 times)

Cristal

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Holding tank hoses
« on: May 03 2016, 21:59 »
I have just replaced the heads hoses to and from the holding tank on my 2004 Bavaria 38 cruiser. As expected, the hoses were reluctant to come off and after removing the clips I had to cut them from the nozzles at the bottom of the holding tank and at the seacock. I should say at this point that it was extremely difficult to use the toilet pump and took a great deal of effort. After removing the top hose, I noticed that it was almost totally furred up with a calcium like material leaving only a very small bore hole. I removed the bottom hose which was basically in the same condition. A small trickle came from the nozzle of the holding tank, I poked into the nozzle of the holding tank with a screwdriver and unleashed a torrent of fluid which poured down into the area below the shower tray. Fortunately, the toilet is only used for. No1's. Can anyone tell me if there is an access to pump out the liquid and any suggestions about how to remove the smell?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Holding tank hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 03 2016, 23:02 »
If the contents of your holding tank spilled out and found its way under the shower tray area, then presumably there is a small gap between the inside of the hull, and the under side of the shower tray. There are various engine oil suction pumps around, and the one I have is similar to the one shown in the attached photo. It has a long thin tube that will fit down inside a dip stick tube on the engine, and possibly would be thin enough to be able to slide the end of it down through the gap referred to above. Once there you would then be able to extract the smelly stuff and dispose of it into your nearby toilet. Once emptied I'd suggest flooding the area under the shower tray with a mixture of fresh water and thin bleach, and leaving that in place for a day or two for it to do its magic. You may need to do this a couple of times, but bleach is pretty good at removing all manner of unpleasant stuff as well as the associated smell. Finally perhaps finish with one of the proprietary toilet cleaners which have something added that smells rather more respectable.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2016, 02:15 »
The pump Salty recommends is probably your best option.

If the fluid has gone under the shower tray, it will probably be making its way to the bilge. The grid will stop this but the fluid may collect inside the grid as it is lower than the surrounds. This is where a Pela type pump will help.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: May 04 2016, 06:57 »
On my B47 the area under the shower tray didn't appear to connect to the bilge, so I drilled a limber hole.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Cristal

• Swab
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 04 2016, 09:39 »
My thanks to all for suggestions. I bought a small in line pump with a thin hose and have extracted approximately 20 litres of the smelly stuff. I then poured in another 20 litres of fresh water to flush out, that was then pumped out and another 20 litres of fresh + 150 millilitres of Aquachem Blue poured in. I will leave it for a couple of days then pump out and re-flush. It appears to be working at the moment. Thanks again,
John