Author Topic: Deck Window Screws  (Read 2826 times)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Deck Window Screws
« on: April 12 2016, 21:47 »
Looking for a replacement screw that is missing from the deck window. Any ideas what sizes it is and where I can get one from? Thanks

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Deck Window Screws
« Reply #1 on: April 12 2016, 22:39 »
Measure, in millimetres, the outside diameter of the threaded part, and the length of the screw, then go on to eBay and enter a search for x mm (diameter) by y mm (length) countersunk A4 (marine grade) stainless steel screws into the search. For example "4mm x 30mm countersunk A4 screws." Look for cross head screws to match those in your windows rather than slotted screws, order a sufficient quantity for the job plus a few spares, wait for delivery and then use them. Be aware that A4 screws will not tarnish as easily as A2 screws, but A4 screws are made from a softer material than A2 which means that if you have to use superhuman strength to tighten them into place, you are more likely to damage the heads of the A4 screws. Such damage can be remarkably easy to occur, particularly if your screwdriver is worn or is not held firmly in place or is not properly aligned with the screw. It is possible that the existing screws might be made from aluminium, though I don't really think that very likely and yours do look to me like stainless, but check first before you order. If you are ordering within the UK and are reluctant to use eBay, you could try Clipper Marine who are the distributors for the boats and their spare or replacement parts, but be prepared for high costs from them.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 13 2016, 10:07 »
That looks like a pretty standard M6 screw which you should be able to get from a decent chandlers. Don't worry if you can't get the exact length as it is easy to cut down. While A4 is better, A2 would be fine in this application. Suggest you use Duralec (also available from chandlers) under the head which prevents corrosion between the Stainless and the aluminium.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 13 2016, 11:50 »
I believe Mx is used for defining machine screws/bolts
The one in the picture is generally called "sheet metal screws" (unlike wood screws the thread is throughout the whole length)
In case you have trouble finding metric, I think that in this case it is also safe to interchange with non metric (look for a gauge to mm conversion table)
A site that holds a large range is boltdepot.com, although you may have trouble  finding the TORX head as you have - maybe yo will have to settle for a Philips
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: April 13 2016, 13:15 »
Just make sure you get a stainless steel.screw and put the proper sealant in the hole before screwing it in.