Author Topic: Bavaria Cruiser 33. Is my current Drain to high  (Read 2792 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Bavaria Cruiser 33. Is my current Drain to high
« on: March 31 2016, 16:51 »
I have a Nasa BM1 battery monitor .
When the domestic isolating switch situated under the chart table is off no current drain is shown.

When I turn the isolater switch on it then shows a current drain of 1.3amps.  To my knowledge nothing is switched on.  The control panel is in standby and my Westabo blown hot air heating is in standby .  I have a bow thruster but this is connected to a seperate battery.

I would be most grateful if anybody knows the current drain of the control panel and the heating system .  Or any suggestions.

Regards Tony .     Pegatha

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 33. Is my current Drain to high
« Reply #1 on: March 31 2016, 17:43 »
If it's a parasitic drain the method used in automotive is to disconnect your live battery terminal put your multimeter in line switched to amp's, then pull each fuse one at a time until you see the meter move down, that will give you the starting place to look into each piece of equipment attached to it.
Remember you may have equipment attached into the wiring so unknown untill you investigate. A lot of modern equipment does consume power even when switched off, like car radios, gps, and equipment on standby.

I think there is a video on Utube, have a serch for it.
Hope this helps.
Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 33. Is my current Drain to high
« Reply #2 on: March 31 2016, 19:22 »

As Bill says,  Measure amps at the at the fuses or breakers this will give you the circuit that is draining. (remove the fuse measure amps on 1-10 scale on your multi meter across the fuse tabs or remove one lug from the circuit breaker and measure from the tab to its connection point on the breaker).

Note many modern digital multi meters have a different plug point for one of the leads when measuring amps.   

Best regards

Ant. 
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing