Author Topic: New Rudder: Insurance Problems  (Read 14769 times)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: New Rudder
« Reply #25 on: March 19 2016, 14:05 »
Thanks Ant.
   I had thought of plastering the yachting press to draw attention to Haven's attitude ( the rejection Email was patronizing and gloating in my humble opinion), I was not aware that the RYA could take up arms in the defence of a yachtsman, this I will bear in mind. I'm not a member, but I think I will will join, as if they support us, I guess we should support them.
   As mentioned earlier, I did insist on the attendance of a surveyor after their rejection,  ( as a result Mainsail accepted responsibility)   and I did so using just the argument you have suggested below, I believe it was a point that helped change their attitude.                                                                     
You may want to remind them of their legal obligation to return you to the position you were in immediately before the incident. The position you are in now is a direct consequence of their actions not yours.
  When our boats are damaged in a manner that will affect seaworthiness, there is now no doubt in my mind that a surveyor should be appointed, if simply to reassure the poor owner, who is at this point way out of his depth, that his pride and joy will be returned to her previous glory (or otherwise).
  I'm relieved that I don't now have to do battle with Haven, but I was quite prepared to give them a very hard time. They may have started to get the message when I told them I wasn't getting off the 'phone 'till I got a surveyor and if they wanted me off the 'phone they would need to hang-up on me, this they were not prepared to do, so I got my surveyor...........But it shouldn't be like this.
  A friend asked if I would now be changing insurance companies, the answer of course is no, because if I do I'll require a new survey, not cheap. So,  with Haven I stay...........Bill

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #26 on: March 19 2016, 14:27 »
Well done Bill, all too often the customer gets trodden on by insurers trying to save a buck and treating us like we are just a nuisance. Fair enough if we were falsifying a claim, but clearly you were not. Your perseverance has paid off, but it's very tiring and tiresome having to fight tooth and nail for your rights, so we'll done again, and well done for sharing it with us.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 19 2016, 17:38 »
Hi Salty. Earlier on, Symphony expressed the view that Haven were possibly (just) within the terms of their policy with us  He is probable absolutely correct in this, but, for an insurance company to insist on applying  the 'letter' of the law and not the 'spirit', always goes down badly. Everybody expects a good reputable insurer to be flexible and provide assistance, since they have all the experience in dealing with disasters, the poor client has none. (I sought to point this out them) Haven scored badly in this......Oh Well...We live and Learn...................Bill.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #28 on: March 20 2016, 12:39 »
Impavidus

Not sure why you are posting all this when the problem has been solved. The insurer did fulfil his obligations by settling the original claim. Any subsequent failings of the repair is the repairer's responsibility, not the insurer.

I think the insurer has been very fair in paying for a surveyor to inspect the repair and the repairer has agreed to make good the repair at his own cost.

Resorting to the RYA or any other legal avenue is only effective if you are legally in the right and have a sound case. it can however be useful to get advice from the RYA to determine what the legal position is. As is shown in this case it is not always easy if you are not familiar with the law. In this case the insurer has acted with goodwill, not out of any legal obligation.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 20 2016, 14:53 »
Symphony,
   I'm afraid you seem to be the only voice suggesting we should roll over and die when our insurance company tells us to. The general consensus appears to favour the idea that insurance policies are not carved in stone, and can in fact be stretched by a fair bit.
   So if disaster strikes, it's up to the policy holder to fight his corner, otherwise he will get the the absolute minimum the Loss Adjuster can get away with. (because that's his job, to reduce the hit on his company.)
   I think the so-called 'goodwill' expressed by insurers is really a fear of bad publicity. They operate in a highly competitive market place and happy  'yotties' are the best advertising they can get..................Bill

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: March 20 2016, 23:29 »
Not at all. Nowhere have I suggested that you should "roll over and die". Just that you should be aware of your legal position based on the contract you had with the insurer. Then you stand a better chance of getting a satisfactory solution. My reading of the situation is that the insurer had fulfilled their side of the contract, so if you want them to revisit the claim it can only be on the basis of goodwill.

Their initial negative reaction would have been because they had settled the claim already and therefore had no reason to re-open it as they are not the guarantors of work done by your contractor and which you have accepted. Your claim is against the contractor, not the insurer. I am all for fighting ones corner - but fighting the correct enemy, in this case the person who made the mistake.

Appreciate why you should think the insurer has a responsibility but they do not for the reasons given, so they have paid for a surveyor when they did not have to. An alternative - and I think this is the way I would have gone - was to engage a surveyor then he is working on your behalf.

So, you have a good result in avoiding the cost of the surveyor. I think it wise (unless you are confident in your own abilities) if there is damage of the type that your boat suffered to have your own surveyor right from the start to deal with the insurer and supervise the repairs with a sign off before payment.

You can, of course just rely on your contractor as you and the insurer did in this case, but recognise that any comeback is with the contractor, not the insurer.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #31 on: April 03 2016, 10:04 »
All.

Just reading back through this thread again. I guess there are some lessons learned here that we should all think about?

I would suggest a few for starters but, it would be good to get Jen-et-ROSS and others to add to them. Perhaps we could post a "what to do" article on making a claim?

1. If there is any damage to your boat always insist on your insurer providing an expert to assess and provide a report. (otherwise it is their risk)

2. Become an RYA member. Ask them for advice. Its free!

3. If the insurer engages a 3rd party to do the work, have it inspected again by a surveyor and signed off. (remember if this happens, you have no contract with the repairer. Your contract is with the insurer who is obligated to return your boat to the condition it was immediately before the incident)

4. If you have any work done privately this is your risk, as you have contracted with the repairer, not you insurer (again have it checked and signed off if your not an expert in the field. Again, your risk.)

5. Remember. It's good to trust......... It's better not to.

6. ?

7. ?

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 03 2016, 10:59 »
The contract with the repairer is with you, not the insurer. The insurer's responsibility is to settle the claim. That, as I see it is the crux of this problem. Insurers liability ends when they settle the claim. Difficult to see how the insurer should have any liability for potential defects in the repair over a year later.

The issue of whether a surveyor should be appointed is not straightforward. The insurer may well appoint a surveyor to assess the damage and determine whether the proposed repair is suitable. The responsibility for the repair then lies with the contractor unless the surveyor is then instructed to supervise the work and then sign it off. In many cases this is overkill, but in others (and possibly this case) it is a sensible approach.

Easy to be wise after the event, but there is no clear cut way of proceeding as each case should be considered on its merits.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: April 04 2016, 16:45 »
I think I could add to Ant's list:-
  6)  If the insurer asks the owner 'are you satisfied with the repair?' then say 'can't tell, not qualified, send a surveyor please'.
         They asked me this and I stupidly said "Aye, looks fine to me". This was enough for me to have 'signed off' on the repair without knowing it.

As for Symphony's:-
The insurer's responsibility is to settle the claim. That, as I see it is the crux of this problem. Insurers liability ends when they settle the claim. Difficult to see how the insurer should have any liability for potential defects in the repair over a year later.
  Quite clearly it's not as simple as this in real life. The fact that I was able to get a surveyor at the Insurers expense 2 years after the event strongly suggests that Haven did suspect they still had a legal obligation, even after 2 years.
  Whether this was because no surveyor was instructed at the time, I don't know. But if things were as black and white as Symphony suggested then they would have maintained the stance adopted in their (rather patronizing) rejection Email..............................Bill

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: April 04 2016, 20:25 »
The contract with the repairer is with you, not the insurer. The insurer's responsibility is to settle the claim. That, as I see it is the crux of this problem. Insurers liability ends when they settle the claim. Difficult to see how the insurer should have any liability for potential defects in the repair over a year later.

The issue of whether a surveyor should be appointed is not straightforward. The insurer may well appoint a surveyor to assess the damage and determine whether the proposed repair is suitable. The responsibility for the repair then lies with the contractor unless the surveyor is then instructed to supervise the work and then sign it off. In many cases this is overkill, but in others (and possibly this case) it is a sensible approach.

Easy to be wise after the event, but there is no clear cut way of proceeding as each case should be considered on its merits.

Symphony, What makes you think that when the insurer engages a contractor the contract is with you and the insurer? (or have I misunderstood your post?)

I did check with our legal team today. The answerer I got was complicated but, unless you engage a contractor or insist on using them or you sign a release waver saying your happy with the work. No contract exists between you and the contractor.

In fact, I was told that insurers actually have some pretty sharp practices around repairs. They will have a standing agreement with various repairers around the country.

The rates they are charged directly, do not reflect the rates you would pay;

Now get this!!

They will base the damage value (repair cost) on the value you would pay or be paid or the general public based on an hourly cost. But actually they will pay much less, or a discounted rate, this is based on them appointing the contractor as "an approved repairer". Where they send more of the damaged boats to them for a discount.

OK you say how does this affect me if the insurers paying? Well if they write your boat off as uneconomic repair they do so using the "to you" price not the "to them" price. They then settle with you for the lowest amount they can and sell the insured boat off to the highest bidder with estimated repair bill at ..........

Yes you guest it the "to them price" 

Oh and just to add insult to injury if a repair is done they register the cost at the higher rate on the insurance register, not the cost they actually paid the contractor for the repair. Prejudicing your claims record......

Insurance works by lots of people paying in to a "pot". The insurers pay out as little of this pot as they can legally get away with.

The difference is called "profit".

To illustrate this add up the average premium of the boats in your marina, at mine its 300. Probably @ £500 PA or more.   Take away the cost of repairs to said boats in a year. Say £50k  (Just a guess). That's £100,000.00 a year profit for one marina for one year.

So the numbers are not accurate but you get the jist? If you race your boat the premiums can double, if its a power boat with a top speed over 16knts its double.

Sorry I have no sympathy with insurers. They take our money and expect us to take all the risk, then use wiggle room not to pay out. Which is how they can afford full page spreads in PBO, Yachting monthly and RYA news. Parasites! 

Sorry Symphony, not having a dig at you personally, please don't take it as so. Apologies if your offended, not my intension. I just want Bavaria owners to get what they pay for.

I also hate Insurers, Bankers and Estate agents. They hide behind half truths, sharp practice, and bully boy tack tics, in the name of profit. I don't operate my business like that, if I did I could have retired years ago.... But I have values and good relationships with all my customers.   

Rant over :-)

Off to take a chill pill, and a laydown  ;D

Best regards.

Ant.

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: April 04 2016, 22:58 »
Well said Ant. :tbu
   We should all realise that Insurance Companies are not our mates, and will attempt to talk us into accepting the bare minimum if we are unfortunate enough to have to make a claim.

As pointed out they indulge in very expensive marketing campaigns to convince us that the're just like us 'boaties'. If you take a look at Haven's full page spreads, you could be forgiven for thinking that everybody in their company lives on a brand new 50 footer, kitted out in the latest offshore oilies.

The truth I'm sure is very different. Their employees will operate in the same performance and target driven cynical business environment that is endemic in our culture. They probably only see a 50ft. yacht during the photo-shoot.
   All that matters is 'the bottom line'. i.e. sell lots of policies and pay out as little possible.

So if you have a claim or other issue with them, be prepared for a battle..................................Bill

Symphony

• Old Salt
Re: New Rudder: Insurance Problems
« Reply #36 on: April 15 2016, 23:02 »
Not sure there is much value in continuing this discussion in detail, but just for information and to explain my position re the status of the contract for repairs following an insurance claim. My insurance policy with Y Insurance, which is underwritten (as are many yacht policies) by Amlin specifically states that the contract for repairs is between the insured and the contractor and that the insured should settle the bill and pass to the insurer for reimbursement.

Hence my position right from the start that the insurer has no liability or responsibility once the claim has been settled. This seems to be borne out in this case as the contractor has agreed to the remedial work, and the insurer instructed the surveyor as goodwill.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
Re: New Rudder: Insurance Problems
« Reply #37 on: April 17 2016, 16:52 »
Not sure there is much value in continuing this discussion in detail, but just for information and to explain my position re the status of the contract for repairs following an insurance claim. My insurance policy with Y Insurance, which is underwritten (as are many yacht policies) by Amlin specifically states that the contract for repairs is between the insured and the contractor and that the insured should settle the bill and pass to the insurer for reimbursement.

Hence my position right from the start that the insurer has no liability or responsibility once the claim has been settled. This seems to be borne out in this case as the contractor has agreed to the remedial work, and the insurer instructed the surveyor as goodwill.

Symphony.
Your quite right;)

If you use your preferred contractor or engage someone to do the work the contract is with you and the contractor. However, if the insurer engages the contractor, or tells you to use x, y or z to do the work and/or they pay him directly the contract is not with you. Which is exactly why some insurers say get 3 quotes and use the one you want or pay you the money to get the work done. The latter is a yet another sneaky way of putting all the risk with you!
A contract is a written or expressed agreement between two parties to provide a product or service. There are essentially six elements of a contract that make it a legal and binding.
In order for a contract to be enforceable, it must contain:
1.An offer that specifically details exactly what will be provided
2.Acceptance, which is the agreement by the other party to the offer presented
3.Consideration, money or something of interest being exchanged between the parties
4.Capacity of the parties in terms of age and mental ability
5.The intent of both parties to carry out their promise
6.Legally enforceable terms and conditions, also called object of the contract

It depends on how the contract of insurance is set up who the third party contractor is in contract with. IE in your case its you. In other policy's it will be the insurer.

Always read the small print!!!!!!!

Hope that make sense?

Ant.