Author Topic: Bavaria 37 flooding  (Read 4006 times)

Andriy

• Cadet
  • No wind- no life !!!
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cr
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bavaria 37 flooding
« on: March 10 2016, 19:27 »
Hi Owners,
Having Bavaria 37, 2007 with S-drive. After flooding accident is busy with restoration ( somebody enter the boat in night and remove speed log and cut overboard hose in toilet ). Yacht was in management under Charter Company and the Company promice to  cover all the restoration after by insurance this is good thing...
Bad thing is corrosion of metal during shortcut of batteries ( lucky that my battery was not near the engine and has anode protection on S-drive ) so now we already overthaul the engine and busy with wood repairs and replacement partly of wiring equipment etc... All overboard valves seems OK. Main SW inlet is on the S-drive housing so the valve is not suffer much as S-drive has anode protection.
Does somebody has experience of flooding the yachts and scope of works to do after. At what things to pay attention ? Give some tips...
Brgds
Andriy

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria 37 flooding
« Reply #1 on: March 10 2016, 19:58 »
So, and with reference to your other posting regarding damage between the keel and hull connection, it appears your boat was under charter in the recent past, and your charters have run the boat into something hard causing damage to that connection. I would suggest that your charter manager is probably aware of this, but has not told you yet. There are some wholly irresponsible charterers who would not report having had an incident, particularly if there was nothing immediately obvious. You need to keep your wits about you and ensure that you have a good lawyer. Get a copy of the charter firms insurance cover details and be ready to take them to court. You need to get statements from the charter firm, confirming how the boat was damaged, and in regard to the theft you should ask your charter manager for a copy of the police report regarding the crime. Don't give anybody the benefit of doubt. If you have your own insurance then you need to advise them and tell them that you hold the charter firm liable. Also if your boat is kept in a marina, ensure that the marina manager knows that a crime has been committed aboard your boat, and that you hold them at least partially responsible on account of the lack of security which allowed criminals onboard. Was your boat locked up prior to the criminals getting onboard in which case there should be evidence of a forced entry, and if not, then your charter manager is at fault for not keeping the boat secure.
Good luck in getting this matter sorted out, you will need all the luck you can get.

Andriy

• Cadet
  • No wind- no life !!!
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cr
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2016, 10:36 »
Thank you for detailed information and good advice.
Unfortunately the Chartering Company is not willing to cooperate. They only promice that everything will be all right and for the insurance account ( 1500 Euro paid by me every year ). Greek style. Will see soon.
Anyway a lot of jobs already done like:
Replacment of batteries, wires, nav. equipm, engine o/h, wood repairs etc... the boat seems will be like new.
Maybe is good time to evaluate the boat at lower price and to pay VAT which is depend from boat value having in hand all the reports ?

What I want also  is the  advice from Owners who has this experience what to check else and not to forgott during the boat restoration.
Brgds
Andriy

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2016, 19:56 »
Andriy, I fear you are about to be taken for a very expensive ride by the charter firm. You mentioned in a posting elsewhere that you trust the charter firm 50/50 whatever that means. My advice to you earlier was not to trust them, and I repeat it again, DO NOT TRUST THEM AT ALL. They will look after their own interests 1st, 2nd and all the way down the line to last before giving you any consideration at all. Do not fall for any appearance of them caring one tiny little bit for your problems, they are not interested all while you are paying the bills and they deny any responsibility. Already they are trying to pass the blame on to the yard, but unless you were there to actually see the boat being put ashore, and have an independent witness to confirm how it was carried out, then you will be left fighting the yard and the charterer while they merely point the finger at each other and leave you to count the cost. Indeed it would not surprise me at all if both the yard and the charter firm are in bed with each other, knowing that you will end up paying all of the costs. If you have your own insurance and legal representation, then you need to get them involved.