Author Topic: Chart plotters  (Read 3618 times)

Peter Abrahamson

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA VISION 50
  • Boat Year: 2007
Chart plotters
« on: February 20 2016, 01:42 »
I have an E80 Raymarine chartplotter which is hooked up to the Radar and a bunch of other stuff...I would like to replace it with a touchscreen chartplotter display ....is this possible or is the E80 not compatible with the newer technology...has anyone changed theirs?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Chart plotters
« Reply #1 on: February 20 2016, 07:21 »
Would I be right to think that you intend to replace your existing plotter with one of the new Raymarine plotters?
I have a recently installed new Raymarine touch screen chart plotter which uses the current SeatalkNG communication system. In order to communicate with my older wind, depth, speed and autopilot instruments which communicate via the older Seatalk system there is a Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter. This allows information from the older instruments to continue to be shared, and in regard to my autopilot, it shows the settings and permits control of the autopilot from the chart plotter. In addition I have an Icom AIS system which outputs information on the NMEA0183 protocol and which through the use of a separately purchased and fitted Actisense converter which converts NMEA0183 to NMEA2000, it allows the AIS targets to be displayed on the chart plotter which would otherwise not be able to understand NMEA0183. Whether the new plotter will also display the output from your radar system I could not say as I don't yet have radar fitted. But so far as the instruments referred to above that I do have, it works very well indeed. One thing though is that my old chart plotter had used CMap chart software which I liked, whereas the new touchscreen plotter uses Navionics. There are differences between the way that some information is shown, where in particular some of the symbols used within the Navionics software do not conform with that shown in the Admiralty and International List of Chart Symbols chart NP5011. I find that irritating to the point of contempt. In addition some features do not show unless you zoom in, one in particular being a small island that I sail past fairly regularly. Here the island can easily be seen visually from say ten miles away, but will not actually show on the plotter until very very much nearer despite that other land masses further away are shown. Again, I find that irritating and would suggest that before you buy, that you try out the chart plotter at a local chandlery, and call up a charted area that you are familiar with in order to see whether the differences are ones that you can accept or not.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 20 2016, 12:57 »
I have an E80 Raymarine chartplotter which is hooked up to the Radar and a bunch of other stuff...I would like to replace it with a touchscreen chartplotter display ....is this possible or is the E80 not compatible with the newer technology...has anyone changed theirs?

There's usually a way of interfacing all the instruments, etc, but potentially, the biggest problem will be whether or not your radar scanner is compatible with newer Raymarine plotters.  For a definitive answer, ask Raymarine.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 22 2016, 04:08 »
Peter,

You haven't indicated whether there is anything wrong with your E80 or where you have it installed.

If the E80 is working well with your current radar and possibly AIS but you merely want to have a better system to Passage Plan with, you might like to consider installing your E80 on the binnacle and buying an I-Pad with navionics charts or a Tablet with suitable software for the chart table.

When we commissioned our Bav 38 in 2010 we installed the E80 with a heads up display on the binnacle. There is a problem with the lack of space with the Bavaria binnacle but our commissioning agent overcame this with a wooden insert. The E80 is too deep to it the standard Bavaria Binnacle in our model, and, I understand, a number of the models. We use an I-Pad with a north up display for planning and back-up purposes down below.

I understand that Digital Yacht have a AIS Pack that connects to an I-Pad using Bluetooth and that Furuno have released, or are about to release a Bluetooth Radar that connects to your computer navigation software.

Most new boats on display at the Dusseldorf Boat show a couple of years ago had I-Pad docking stations on each helm and the chart table. 3 computers and chart software is a lot cheaper that an integrated chart-plotter solution. Our E 80 has functioned perfectly for the last 6 years and I am reluctant to upgrade it.

You may wish to consider keeping your E80 on the helm ( if working correctly) and buy I-Pad or Tablet with chart software for planning purposes to keep below

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia