Author Topic: Rear rubber strake  (Read 2477 times)

Peter Abrahamson

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA VISION 50
  • Boat Year: 2007
Rear rubber strake
« on: February 20 2016, 01:21 »
I would like to replace the rear rubber protection strake on the back of my boat....the rear of the boat sits well above the water line around 40 cm...has anyone replaced this without taking the boat out of the water ...if it's possible ?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Rear rubber strake
« Reply #1 on: February 20 2016, 17:48 »
Mine fell off halfway across the Atlantic some time ago when the glue failed in the warmer climate - so yes, they do come off! They protect the joint of the transom and hull [Bavaria B37 2006] which is already sealed so no harm taking off the bumper in the water. Get some strong glue to put the replacement back on.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Rear rubber strake
« Reply #2 on: February 21 2016, 23:00 »
Hi Peter,
Yes I removed & replaced mine rubber strake just recently, with the boat in the water. The original adhesive had failed, and several times I have had to recover it , being held on only by the four screws holding the metal "U" piece at the bottom.
After cleaning the inside surfaces with a xylene based product, I refixed it using the marine grade sikaflex.
I used seven (7x) 310ml tubes of sikaflex 291, but wished I have another tube or two at the time.
You will need assistance with the replacement, as it can be quite awkward re-installing the rubber whilst it is filled with the sealant, whilst minimising the mess.
Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian