Author Topic: Fitting solar panels to my bavaria  (Read 3450 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Fitting solar panels to my bavaria
« on: February 01 2016, 21:30 »
I have a 50watt solar panel fitted to my boat which is connected to my  Rutland HDR1 wind generator controller which states it can accept up to 160watts from  solar panels in addition to the Rutland wind generator . 
I would like to add another panel of 100watts which I assumed would give me 150watts. I am aware the panels need to be in parallel . 
I  have been told  the panels must all be the same size regarding output ( watts )  if not the size of the smallest panel will dictate the size of the system .   So my 100watt  + 50watt will in fact end up being a 50watt array.
I would appreciate any comments.

Regards Tony

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Fitting solar panels to my bavaria
« Reply #1 on: February 02 2016, 01:27 »
Ive got 2x80watt solar panels plugged into my Rutland controller. Wish I had got a separate solar controller and bigger solar panels now as they don't quite keep up with my power needs. If your 50 watt is a cheap one maybe bin it in favour of 2x80 or get separate controller .

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 02 2016, 09:08 »
For the sake of an extra small amount, but a pair of 100w panels and a dedicated controller, and sell your 50w panel on.

You'll probably also find that you don't need the Rutland any more.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: February 02 2016, 16:12 »
Never regret more solar, we have 340 W and right now I'm running our portable generator  :(.
Waiting for the D400 wind generator to show up and replace our old KISS.
Worse part is we're in Sunny Florida waiting to cross over to the Bahamas but there has been a lot of cloud cover and rain lately, so I'm real happy when I have the wind generator working. We anchored one month without ever turning on the little generator. ;D.
Cheers

Stuart