Author Topic: Considering a Bavaria yacht (38-44 foot)  (Read 6745 times)

Deviation

• Swab
Considering a Bavaria yacht (38-44 foot)
« on: January 20 2016, 00:30 »
Hello all, we currently have a Westerly Griffon (26 ft) but are looking to upgrade in the next 6 months possibly to something that we can use to sail in Europe and eventually sail round the world when we retire in 4 or 5 years.

Now we have been looking at Bavarias, 38 to 44 foot, so we would look at getting one to use on the South coast and go to the Isle of Wight etc as well as France etc.

So, would a Bavaria suit us for this purpose and then our future needs?

Thanks

Lee

solar

Re: Considering a Bavaria yacht (38-44 foot)
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2016, 07:48 »
PM sent

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 16 2016, 06:35 »
PM sent

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 16 2016, 09:49 »
Almost any - the basic designs are all the same, apart perhaps from the Vision series which have larger coachroofs and different layout interiors. Otherwise they just get bigger as the length increases. However there are many variations on interiors depending on the original purpose of the build with "owners" versions having less cabins and a distinctive master cabin. Very little variation in rig but probably most have in mast furling.

You really have to go and see the boats for yourself to get an idea of which features are important to you. Nobody else can tell you what is best for you without detailed knowledge of your requirements - all one can do is point out what features different models have. There is a good choice of boats on the market and suggest the first thing to do is to talk to the brokerage department at Clipper Marine as they have probably the largest range of Bavarias for sale on their books. They are much more likely to give you more specific advice once you have discussed what you want.

Imagine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 08 2016, 20:46 »
Have sailed a 36 around world with no problems

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 25 2016, 21:49 »
We live aboard for 4-5 months per year. My wife and I double hand most of the time. Depends what your budget is but we love the Vision 46 for daily living. Spacious saloon which is not like living in your dining room😜 Spacious yet seaworthy cockpit for both open air living on the hook and sailing. The new Vision 42 and 46 were developed after surveying current Bavaria owners for what they would want in an owner based configuration. I participated since we have owned Bav cruiser 35 and 42 in the past and I think they got it mostly right. Obviously a lot of this is personal preference but for long term live aboard I much prefer the Vision to the Cruiser models. Build quality is good for the price and I am gradually upgrading some of the mighty budget items like four catches and some switches but very minor issues. Also I recommend labour saving devices as an investment for retirement. We are pretty fit 50 something's but I went for electric winches all round with roller furler on main and headsails. It makes a big difference to ease of sailing. Good luck with your search
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 19 2016, 15:36 »
Kibo, I too own a Vision 46, in Lake Erie (Great Lakes); also in my 50s so I fitted it with all electric winches.  We also love the boat; absolutely setup for easy sailing.  We received the boat in June of this year and have had some warranty issues.  Mainly with cosmetic damage, but we also have had an issue with toe rails splitting at the ends.  Since Bavaria Yachts USA ceased operations we have gotten nowhere with Bavaria Yachtbau (Germany).  Not sure whether we will have any warranty converge at all which is very troubling since we purchased the boat new this year!

I do have one issue that I would like advice on.  The bow headstay mounting plate is very sharp and actually cut through a mooring line.  Obviously there should be nothing sharp on a the bow of a boat, but have you experienced any issues?  It cut through a new line in 15 minutes which caused the boat to drift.  This is the only design flaw I have seen.  I've seen other boat mount a plate that goes completely around the bow I assume to cover the mounting plate. 
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 20 2016, 03:06 »
Hi Stuart.

Not quite sure what you are referring to. The forestay is lead under the deck for the roller furling and I see nothing sharp there, but anyway why would the mooring lines be interacting with the forestay? Do you mean on a mooring ball rather than at the dock? If I am on a mooring I put two lines on the mooring ball either side from the forward cleats. The forward cleats are slightly aft of the bow and do not interact with the anchor roller at the prow. Maybe if you post pictures I can see what you mean. I bought my boat new and have not updated any anchor rollers etc.
Ian

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 23 2016, 18:31 »
To SofiaB
Horizon Yacht Sales in Annapolis MD is the Bavaria importer/distributor for most of the US. They may be able to help. I don't think the Bavaria factory wants to deal with customers!!!

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 23 2016, 22:40 »
Horizon yacht sales (aka Bavaria USA) were dropped as Bavaria dealers at the Annapolis boat show this last October. Hence Sofia B's dilemma.
To SofiaB
Horizon Yacht Sales in Annapolis MD is the Bavaria importer/distributor for most of the US. They may be able to help. I don't think the Bavaria factory wants to deal with customers!!!
Ian