Author Topic: VOLVO PENTA D1-30, Bavaria 37 2006 - ADVICE NEEDED  (Read 6477 times)

Adamwid

• Swab
VOLVO PENTA D1-30, Bavaria 37 2006 - ADVICE NEEDED
« on: November 25 2015, 14:01 »
Hi There,
I'm new to this forum. Just going to buy a Bavaria 37, from 2006. The engine is VP, 29HP.
My question is to the owners of such boats - is this engine OK? I mean not to weak and do not require a lot of expensive service?
Any suggestions would by highly appreciated :)

Adam

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: VOLVO PENTA D1-30, Bavaria 37 2006 - ADVICE NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: November 25 2015, 16:36 »
I also have a 2006 B37. Good news and bad news on your questions. The good news is the engine is fine for the boat and will push her along quite steadily, doing about 5.5 knts at 2.2k rpm. Expect a top speed of around 7knts at full power but this may cause overheating over a prolonged period. Fuel use is about 2l/hour at 5 knts and if you have a search on this forum on that topic this is fairly 'normal'. Service costs will depend on you. DIY is the most cost-effective method and the use of OEM parts will also save you money (again, extensive forum posts on this topic too). However, if you go to a Volvo Service Centre expect to pay heavily for parts and labour. Genuine Volvo spares are also very expensive but many parts can be sourced elsewhere.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: November 25 2015, 17:11 »
I can confirm that Dawntreaders posting is spot on. A friend has a B37 from 2001 which is fitted with the same 29hp engine, and if anything I'd say he gets slightly more speed than Dawntreader suggests. I don't know what his precise fuel consumption is, but it's very economical that's for sure. My own boat, a B36 from 2002 is only a few inches smaller than the B37 in length, while beam and draft are much the same. However as far as engine size is concerned, I manage quite well with the smaller MD2020 engine which has just 19 horses. On 2000 rpm my speed is around 5.5 knots while going up to 2500 rpm brings the speed up by a little over a knot to between 6.5 and 7 knots. As for fuel consumption, the 19 is very slightly more economical, so you will find the 29 hp engine to be just ideal.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 25 2015, 19:15 »
Our 2011 36 has a D130.  Like others have said, the engine is fine - 3 cyl non-turbo lump.  Nice and simple with adequate power to push us along at 5-7kn depending on RPM we set.  Just keep it serviced properly with oil and filter changes and make sure the raw water side of the cooling circuit is clean and functional - again fairly easy to keep an eye on. 

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: November 25 2015, 22:19 »
We have a B34 / 2001 with an MD2030D, basically the same. Plenty of power and very economical although I would agree with the comments that VP spares are ludicrously expensive. However, some of us are in the process of creating a list of non-VP replacement parts (e.g. oil filters, fan belts, etc.). I would echo Ripster's point about keeping the raw water side clean, particularly the impeller/pump. There does seem to be a weak spot on these lumps (as with others) in that corrosion can occur between the heat exchanger and exhaust. It's definitely NOT a deal-breaker but once she's yours, and at a suitable opportunity, it's worth taking the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold off (it's the same casting), remove the raw water tube bundle and check for pitting inside at the aft end, also in the exhaust elbow. There are a couple of threads on the site about all this - worth a quick read. I do emphasise that it's not a big deal, just worth sticking on the 'TO-DO' list.
ATB

Mark

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: November 26 2015, 07:43 »
Hi,
Our B37 2006, has the D1-30 engine, and we are very happy with its performance.
We have recently returned from a cruise up the NSW coast, where we wanted to make passage on days with not much with, and days with plenty (20+knots) of wind, and the motor performed excellently.

Always had plenty power, especially motoring into the weather, always reliable, and very economical IMO.

I have always had my local VP mechanic service the engine, and yes I could save a couple of dollars doing it myself, but the  mechanic has far more experience than I do, at recognising small issues that could potentially become big issues if not address early.

If you are worried about the particular engine, get your mechanical to inspect it prior to your purchase.

Adamwid

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: November 26 2015, 09:11 »
Thank you all very much.
My concerns were if this engine has enough power and is not too expensive (service, spare parts). Your answers dispelled most of them.
Thanks a lot, once again.
Adam

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 26 2015, 10:04 »
Just to correct some of the statements above. The 2030 in the earlier boats is a completely different engine from the D1 30, although rated at the same power, but at 3200 rpm rather than 3600, and also painted green. echo the comments about power, having owned both engines, one in a 2001 37 and the other in a new 33.

Fuel consumption is the same with either as it is a direct function of the power used rather than the type of engine. While using Volvo agents for servicing is expensive and parts seem expensive, they are no different from other popular engines such as Yanmar. Having said that the requirement for parts is very small. My earlier 2030 did 3500 hours and only replacement on the engine was a rebuilt alternator. You can save a few pounds a year by using non genuine filters belts and impellers, and changing these is simple.

The best thing you can do to increase the life and reliability of the engine is to always run it at higher revs - at least 2000 rpm for a D1 30. don't run long periods at light load or low revs and make sure the engine is always thoroughly warmed up. The basic engine is designed for heavy use in industrial equipment and used as described will outlast the owner!

Adamwid

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: November 26 2015, 10:43 »
Thanks Symphony  :)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 27 2015, 02:53 »
D1-30 pushes our 2009 Bav 38 cruiser with a 3 blade folding prop along at 5.4kn in calm conditions on 2100rpm. Uses just less than 2 l/hour at this rate.

I echo comments above. Only maintenance is changing filters, oil and raw water impellor once a year. Only repair in 1700hrs has been the bearings and seals on the raw water impellor pump.

Volvo agents I have spoken to confirm that only other item likely to be replaced is the collar where the salt water joins the exhaust.

These motors are used on the round the world racers to run generators for the canting keels etc. They will, like most diesels, take prolonged periods of use, providing the raw water is not blocked.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"