Author Topic: shore connection socket  (Read 5767 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
shore connection socket
« on: November 21 2015, 14:34 »
Hi . I have a 2000 B42.  The external shore connection is a 2 pin and earth standard Blue european plug mounted on the sloping stern.  This has a stainless steel square sprung loaded flap over the top.  The plug I use was purchased from the chandlers but is a standard Splashproof to IP44 2 pole plus earth Blue240V 16A Rated female, ( the type you would buy in a DIY shop).  It is always filling with rain water and I can see no reason why it would not.  There is no waterprofing whatsoever and it is on the slope of the stern.   Am I using the wrong type of plug, is there a special waterproof plug that fits in to these original Bavaia sockets? 

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: shore connection socket
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2015, 15:06 »
Sounds like mine and any other production boat I've seen, except I've never noticed rainwater in mine (it's mounted on a vertical part of the stern though, not a slope). They're poorly protected indeed, but then so is the other end (the one you plug into the marina outlet, at least here in Europe) - all just IPx4, which is splashproof only.

If you want something better, you can swap the end on your boat out for a Marinco socket (yellow, with black screw ring and screw-shut lid when socket is not in use). They're a bit better, but the plugs are not really waterproof (submersible) either - the socket with the lid screwed on may be (when nothing is plugged in). They also cost a silly amount (the only one I've seen around here was on an Oyster - where I've repaired it due to water having gotten into the plug). And that still won't change anything about the marina end.

I've just put some silicone grease on my socket pins to keep them from corroding together and so far it's fine.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #2 on: November 22 2015, 13:29 »
This thread discusses my shore power inlet [click]

Note, it's not a socket!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 22 2015, 17:00 »
On my B37C 2006, the original shore power socket is like this:

http://www.accastillage-diffusion.com/catalog/Prise-de-bord-Socle-32-A,6076.html

It requires a specific plug and is waterproof. No issue with it and, it is 32A, I believe 16A is too small.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22 2015, 17:53 »
On my B37C 2006, the original shore power socket is like this:

http://www.accastillage-diffusion.com/catalog/Prise-de-bord-Socle-32-A,6076.html

It requires a specific plug and is waterproof. No issue with it and, it is 32A, I believe 16A is too small.

That's a Marinco one (yes I know it's not technically a "socket"). Interesting that it was the original - in which country was the boat originally commissioned?

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 22 2015, 17:59 »
It is in France. My previous B30C had the same one.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: November 23 2015, 07:05 »
It is in France. My previous B30C had the same one.

My B36/2004 also has same "socket". It was a Greek charter boat.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 23 2015, 11:05 »
There seems to be also another option, which is IPx6 rated and more reasonably priced: http://www.es-store.co.uk/search_results.php?keyword=ratio&x=0&y=0 (also available from Mastervolt, at twice the price).

The description says: This inlet complies with the new International Standard ISO 60309-2 (effective 1st October 2012)

This would seem to be your best bet if you want to upgrade. Either way you'd end up with some GRP work to reduce the size of the hole in your transom.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #8 on: November 25 2015, 07:30 »
That's a Marinco one ...

AKA a Hubbell plug, as banned by the BBC for being unsafe. I spent many days removing them from our equipment.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator