Author Topic: Gennaker bowsprit Cruiser 32 (2011)  (Read 7334 times)

Copprhead

• Swab
Gennaker bowsprit Cruiser 32 (2011)
« on: November 06 2015, 17:27 »
I want to add a bowsprit to be able to fly a gennaker. The bowsprit Bavaria offered as an option was from Seldén. Can anyone tell me which type (diameter - 75/89/99?) and length it is? It would also be helpful to know the distance between the two foundations on deck and the forestay, unfortunately I'm too far away from the boat to measure. :(

Thanks!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Gennaker bowsprit Cruiser 32 (2011)
« Reply #1 on: November 06 2015, 19:27 »
This information is on the Selden website. You will need your boat gross tonnage and sail area as these are factors in deciding the information you require.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 15 2015, 22:56 »
The standard Selden retractable bowsprit has attachment points to the deck of a boat. For the Bavarias, the forward attachment must attach to the bottom of the forestay. This is because the forestay is solidly attached to the hull. If you get the standard Selden part and attach the forward end to the deck, you risk pulling the deck from the hull.

Make sure you get the Bavaria forestay attachment with the retractable bowsprit and deck attachment at the aft end.

Copprhead

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: November 18 2015, 21:51 »
Dawntreader: I have looked at the information on Seldén's website. With 5.2 tons, all four offered sizes of the AL bowsprit would "fit" - now it depends on the lengths (supported/unsupported) the find the right one -> I would need the distance between the two attachment points on deck and between (one) attachment point and the ring on the forestay.

Craig: I thought about going with the ring that can be welded on and finding the right a height/position that would allow me to run the bowsprit through my anchor's roll bar (Rocna). With the Bavaria original setup, the bowsprit collides with the roll bar.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 19 2015, 07:16 »
I had mine fitted by local riggers and the ring mount attachment bracket specially fabricated to fit to the forestay anchor points as per the photo. This was not expensive to modify. Once you have this point you can work out the other anchor point on the deck for the end clamp as shown on the table here: http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1441613308/595-261-E.pdf

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 21 2015, 08:38 »
I may be misleading you guys with my previous comments as I understood almost all modern Bavarias had a similar set-up to my 2009 Bavaria 38.

The aft attachment point to the deck on the 38 is a specially moulded and reinforced section. It looks like a raised, smooth,  circular part of the deck. I understood that this is the only part of the deck with the required reinforcing to attach the aft end of the bowsprit. The force on this is primarily a downwards force.

The force on the attachment to the fore end of the bowsprit is an upwards force. The forestay attachment is specially reinforced to take this load, whereas the deck isn't. The selden importer to Australia also supplies the attachment to the forestay for Bavarias. I don't know if Selden make the part, if it is a Bavaria part or just something they have devised to solve the problem with Bavarias.

Even though I have an oversized Kobra anchor on my starboard side bow roller, I have a clear line for the attachment on the port side. I was going to have the Selden bowsprit fitted to my Bavaria 38 in Malta early this year but the transport cost for the parts to Malta was astronomical. Now that the boat is in OZ I can get the parts here much more cheaply, but with a wait. I'm hoping to get mine fitted after Christmas.

It would be great if you could post a photo of how you get on and if you encountered any other problems.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Copprhead

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: January 31 2016, 22:54 »
Small update: The factory gennaker option apparently uses the 87 mm version of the Seldén sprit.

Copprhead

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: July 26 2016, 17:42 »
I finally installed the bow sprit this spring. The setup is almost identical to the factory option. Only difference is the bow bracket, which is custom-made so the bow sprit runs through the roll bar of the Rocna anchor. You need:

1 Seldén bow sprit kit 87mm diameter (087-087-70)
1 Seldén bow bracket for welding (508-758-04) (it's only the "ring")
a stainless steel welder who can make the adapter for the bracket.

It helped to first make a template from cardboard that encloses the bracket and is cut so that the bracket ends up in the right position.

NOTE: If you don't have to worry about an anchor roll bar being in the way, just order the custom bracket from Bavaria.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 26 2016, 18:10 »
Much the same as above - I changed one of the securing nuts to a ring and use it for turning blocks which work perfectly well with the bowsprit 'in use'