Author Topic: Cost of Volvo spares D130. saildrive  (Read 7781 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Cost of Volvo spares D130. saildrive
« on: October 27 2015, 19:52 »
Just purchased a new engine fuel filter and water pump impeller 55.00.
Tried to get a pattern fuel filter but just fractionally to large . Does anybody know where I can get pattern Volvo spares from

Regards Tony Revell  Bav cruiser 33  pegatha

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Cost of Volvo spares D130. saildrive
« Reply #1 on: October 27 2015, 20:56 »
Keypart has common parts and consumables for slightly less than Volvo prices (and provides excellent service). You order one of theirs (or stare at the picture for a while in some cases) and then from that figure out where they get it from. Then you go online and find the best price for it - at least that's how I did it for a few parts. My MD22 now has UFI/Crosland filters and Jabsco impeller (for which there are even cheaper clones).

http://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/ also has some Volvo part cross-references that are dirt cheap.

Other parts are standard car parts, such as oil and temperature sensors (VDO), alternator belts (Gates), injectors (Bosch), lip seals (STEFA, which is now, uh, another company - or get them from http://easternseals.co.uk/). Many parts have markings from their original manufacturers on them, for others you can simply measure them.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #2 on: October 27 2015, 21:19 »
Hi Tony

I've attached a spreadsheet that was created originally by Odysseus ( http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,567.msg2944.html#msg2944 ) to which, with respect, I've modified a little. Although these are for the MD2030 engine, it may be that some of the alternatives would be OK for you. Obviously, I respectfully suggest that you use these as a starting point for investigation rather than a definitive list. If anyone wishes to enlarge the list or add other engines, I hope Odysseus won't mind and I certainly wouldn't. Their prices are scandalous.
ATB

Mark

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27 2015, 21:53 »
I've attached a spreadsheet that was created originally by Odysseus ( http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,567.msg2944.html#msg2944 ) to which, with respect, I've modified a little. Although these are for the MD2030 engine, it may be that some of the alternatives would be OK for you. Obviously, I respectfully suggest that you use these as a starting point for investigation rather than a definitive list. If anyone wishes to enlarge the list or add other engines, I hope Odysseus won't mind and I certainly wouldn't. Their prices are scandalous.

Nice. From my own notes (for my MD22L-B):

Oil filter
  • Volvo 3517857
  • Crosland 2131
  • not UFI 2324600 (from parts4engines - wrong size thread)

Engine fuel filter
  • Volvo 21624740
  • Fram P8043

Alternator belt Gates 6219MC (9.5x975 La) (bought here)

And a source for original Volvo (green) coolant for the price of the generic stuff (surprisingly still in stock).

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #4 on: October 27 2015, 23:02 »
Thanks for the info, Yngmar. With your permission, I'll create a new tab for the MD22L engine and add these to it (with your notes and links). I believe there are normally two fuel filters - can you clarify which one you've mentioned?

Nigel, would it be possible to upload the spready to a given page on the site and perhaps have someone administer it? I'd be happy to volunteer on an ad-hoc basis but have no website experience so wouldn't know how to set it up in the first instance. People could add (or correct!) entries by commenting in the Topic or PM'ing the administrator but only with alternatives that have actually been used successfully. No hearsay or pub talk so the list shows good reliable info as best we can manage it. I think it would be of benefit to many of us, especially if the number of engine types covered grows.
ATB

Mark

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: October 28 2015, 07:11 »
Nigel, would it be possible to upload the spready to a given page on the site and perhaps have someone administer it? ...
This is a good idea, in fact I'm considering a user upload area anyway.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28 2015, 07:54 »
Thanks for the info, Yngmar. With your permission, I'll create a new tab for the MD22L engine and add these to it (with your notes and links). I believe there are normally two fuel filters - can you clarify which one you've mentioned?

Yes, sharing useful information is what we're here for.

I'm talking about the fuel filter on the engine (I always found the primary and secondary nomenclature confusing). The coarse pre-filter is not related to the engine model and can be anything, plus it's relatively easy to look up filters for it and they're quite cheap.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: October 28 2015, 08:41 »
Put "   alternative parts" in the serch window, as list of parts there.

Hope this helps
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #8 on: October 28 2015, 10:06 »
I'm talking about the fuel filter on the engine (I always found the primary and secondary nomenclature confusing). The coarse pre-filter is not related to the engine model and can be anything, plus it's relatively easy to look up filters for it and they're quite cheap.

Yngmar; thanks, pretty obvious I suppose. In future, I'll refer to all filters as 'Pre-Filter', 'Engine Filter' and 'Oil Filter'. That should make it a bit more intuitive. I can't think of any others on the engine, apart from the air filter.

Nigel; I'll PM you in a month or so with a reminder.

Odysseus; Yes, that's how I found your original thread but having a specific page on the site will allow the spready to be administered in one place, perhaps with its own thread for update notifications(?).

In general, is there anyone who can't view an Excel Spreadsheet? If so, would a parallel PDF be acceptable? (not sure how that would cope with a separate tab for each engine type but that's for another day).
ATB

Mark

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: October 28 2015, 23:15 »
Nigel, would it be possible to upload the spready to a given page on the site and perhaps have someone administer it? ...

I'm wondering if the best way to do this would be to use a shared cloud folder on Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive ...

I've started a poll to gauge interest: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1138.0.html
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29 2015, 07:42 »
Google Docs is probably well suited to it. The file can be made available for public viewing and can have multiple editors.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ (requires Google account)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: November 02 2015, 16:47 »
Pleased to report I can buy engine fuel filters and oil filter for 3 pounds and a few pence from inline filters instead of 24.00 with a 10% discount included. 
I have found a genuine Johnson impeller at 19.00 instead of  26.00 .Maybe someone knows of impellers cheaper .

Thank you for all the replies and looking forward to the spreadsheet.

Regards Tony Revell  Pegatha  Bavaria Cruiser 33

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #12 on: November 03 2015, 08:47 »
Hi Tony.

Thanks for letting us know. It would be a great help if everyone who posts something worth adding to the list could include manuf. name, order/product codes, web address (and any other useful info) to include in the list please. I'll get it updated and reloaded at the top of this thread.
ATB

Mark

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08 2016, 17:42 »

Engine fuel filter
  • Volvo 21624740
  • Fram P8043

Further compatible filters for my MD22L-B:

• UFI 2435100 (just fitted - these are nice and have a plastic drain handscrew on the bottom)
  • Fleetguard FF5422 (bought here - this looks exactly like the Volvo filter, inside and out, it's probably it)

The above two I have fitted and thus am 100% sure about. The UFI also has a compatible list printed on the side of the box (not tested):
  • Fiaam FP4935A
  • Fram P4183
  • Mann&H WK842/2
  • Purolator PER248F
  • Tecnocar RN58B
  • Sofima S8500NR