Author Topic: Internet Connection with Extender  (Read 7269 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Internet Connection with Extender
« on: October 17 2015, 16:09 »
I think I have read somewhere about improving internet receptions and connecting to hotspots.

I would like to log on to our clubhouse internet while afloat but I cannot get any sign of the internet reception while afloat. Even though I can easily see the clubhouse.  Has anybody had experience of achieving this .

Regards Tony Revell  Bavaria Cruiser 33  Pegatha

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Re: INTERNET CONNECTION WITH EXTENDER
« Reply #1 on: October 19 2015, 12:00 »
Hi, i have been doing some research on the same thing recently and come to the following conclusions.  You can install an external aerial on board on your rail, something like a 9dbi one would be fine with a bullet attached, this then connects to a small router to give wifi on board.  However as explained to me the signal strength you get is based upon what your club is pushing out.  Therefore a low signal means there is not a lot you can do about it. The aerial i described above will help get the wifi signal down below into your boat as signal get blocked by others masts and GRP etc.  I was looking to do the same at Brixham using the marina free wifi but as pointed out to me that why its free as its not very good!

It depends on what you want to do with internet connection but if you want to use in port, off shore and in France or Spain for example you may want to consider a Mifi arrangement.  A mifi dongle could be a  cheaper option as it allows you to use 4G several miles off shore as well and allow you to connect up to 10 devices to your wifi dongle on board.  In essence you are creating your own wifi network through the 4g network.  Both set up will cost around £200 from what I can see and of course the wifi arrangement does require a pay as you go sim card installed but these are pretty cheap to buy and has the benefit of being able to use off shore and over the channel in France and Spain etc if you use 3. Use can also use any other location on land as its small and portable where signal is weak. 

check out www.wifionboard.co.uk for examples.  Motorhomes also use the same arrangements

I will be interested to see what response this stream creates as I have not made a purchase yet but am getting close.  Original I was looking at Mainsail Redbox set up with their WifBat but realise there are cheaper solutions out there.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 19 2015, 12:50 »
Most marina wifi is poor.  I use my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot, and tether the laptop to it.  Works fine.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 19 2015, 20:43 »
Ref Aquila's posting above, "check out www.wifionboard.co.uk for examples."

I bought a system from "wifionboard" last year, and found it unreliable to the point that I returned it for refund as being unreliable and therefore not fit for purpose. They refused to agree that it was unreliable, and after a lot of arguing they refunded the cost less a re-stocking charge of £10 because they thought I had simply changed my mind. At the London Boatshow this year I confronted them at their stall about the unreliability of the system, and also pointed out to them that the VAT calculation on their original invoice was incorrect where they had significantly overcharged.
Their reply was that the VAT had been calculated in a computer program they had and that their accountant had not picked up any error, though they did admit that the VAT calculation was incorrect. Now think carefully how their VAT calculations might have affected their other customers apart from me.
At their stall and following that discussion I received a full refund, and let the matter drop, but I will not buy from or recommend them.

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: October 19 2015, 21:26 »
thank you for sharing your bad experience,  it is amazing when doing research in this area as there are so many wifi equipment suppliers who package up the bit you evidently need and charge more.  I have looked at some companies who just sell the components and let you put them together, this normally turns out much cheaper. 

What did you buy from wif onboard, I assume it was a wifi router and antenna with booster and not a 4G wifi arrangement which is pretty fool proof I would have thought if you get the coverage.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: October 19 2015, 22:37 »
Are you trying to connect with a PC, or a mobile device?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 20 2015, 07:48 »
If it is for a PC equipped with a USB port and you are the DIY type you can search Google for "directional wifi antenna DIY"
The simple ones are based on positioning a USB wifi dongle at the focal point of a parabolic antenna made of a kitchen strainer and claim to give a significant gain - if it does not work, at least it does not cost much to try.
This is assuming, of course, that you can point the antenna to the source of wifi.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: October 20 2015, 10:09 »
Ref reply no. 4 from Aquila, "What did I buy?"
It was a "wifi extender with marine omni antenna." This essentially was a small black box containing some electronics to amplify the received signal and with its own antenna for re-radiating it to the computer while the marine omni antenna was designed to receive the weak originally broadcast wifi signal and connect it to the aforementioned black box via a lead with a USB plug on the end.

Ref reply no 5 from Nigel, "Are you trying to connect with a PC or a mobile device?"
My intention was to connect via my iPad.
Note, prior to purchasing the wifi extender, I had on occasions been able to connect directly to the club house wifi from my iPad, but it was not very reliable. With the wifi extender I was never able to connect to the club house, and only once was I able to get it to connect to my home wifi while the system was at home.

As for the invoice, you can see from the attached photo what was charged. The VAT, which I did not query at the time of purchase, just does not relate to the subtotal on which it should !

Since getting my money back I've changed my mobile phone, and with the new tariff which includes two gig of data I can get all the internet access I need when within mobile phone coverage to enable me to check things like weather reports, emails etc.

Aquila

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: October 20 2015, 10:25 »
Salty, thanks for your response, this makes interesting reading and just saved me some money.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: October 20 2015, 13:03 »
As for the invoice, you can see from the attached photo what was charged. The VAT, which I did not query at the time of purchase, just does not relate to the subtotal on which it should!

Interesting that they've added the VAT on the standard price and then removed the discount, trousering the four quid difference. I'd hazard a guess it's nothing to do with the software at all.
ATB

Mark

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #10 on: October 20 2015, 17:25 »
... Ref reply no 5 from Nigel, "Are you trying to connect with a PC or a mobile device?" ...

I was actually asking the OP :)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #11 on: October 20 2015, 18:00 »
We use a 'BEAREXTENDER' connected via a USB cable to our laptop. They cost about £35 and come with a couple of small antenna,  but since it uses standard antenna connections it's easy to fit a 9 or 15db antenna to the unit for about £10 (ebay) and mount it outside via an extension cable for about £4-5 (again ebay). Ours is under the sprayhood to keep it dry. (the 'Bearextender' is on the Nav Table)
  We sail mainly in the West Coast of Scotland, Outer Hebrides and Ireland and can usually get a decent signal on the boat using marina WiFi, local hotels or 'BT WIFI with FON'. (you need to have BT WiFi at home for this). If you disconnect the unit to use your laptops internal antenna you get zilch  >:(!! I'm very impressed by it and have been using it for the last two years. :)
  The link below should have all the info.

http://store.bearextender.com/products/bearextender-for-pc

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
Re: Internet Connection with Extender
« Reply #12 on: October 21 2015, 07:17 »
Assuming this is for connection to a PC. Alfa gear is great, I've written about it a lot. Their units are often rebranded or re-housed and sold at a premium.

Tube-U(N): http://amzn.to/1E6BSNv
Alfa Antenna: http://amzn.to/1x4Ypvf or TurboTenna: http://amzn.to/1ki79DC

Another (indoor) model to consider ...
Alfa AWUS036NHR - High-Gain 2000mw 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor: http://amzn.to/1E6CYbT
Antenna (directional): http://amzn.to/1x51o6N

I've just bought this latest model, very impressed.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Internet Connection with Extender
« Reply #13 on: October 21 2015, 14:11 »
Assuming this is for connection to a PC. Alfa gear is great, I've written about it a lot. Their units are often rebranded or re-housed and sold at a premium.

Tube-U(N): http://amzn.to/1E6BSNv
Alfa Antenna: http://amzn.to/1x4Ypvf or TurboTenna: http://amzn.to/1ki79DC

Another (indoor) model to consider ...
Alfa AWUS036NHR - High-Gain 2000mw 802.11 B/G/N Wireless USB Network Adaptor: http://amzn.to/1E6CYbT
Antenna (directional): http://amzn.to/1x51o6N

I've just bought this latest model, very impressed.

I use an alfa booster on my Laptop and it works fine.   If nothing else, it gives the opportunity to get the signal receiver aerial up much higher and outside.  That alone gets a better more reliable connection.