Author Topic: Cockpit table lights  (Read 5508 times)

jo_que_se

• Swab
Cockpit table lights
« on: October 13 2015, 13:47 »
Hi to all!

I know some of you already did a mod like this, but I wanteed to share mine...

The LED's are RGB, controlled by a RF remote controller, so you can adjust the color and the intensity (great if you want a little of red light when sailing at night...)

The source:

http://eud.dx.com/product/hml-waterproof-72w-300-x-smd-5050-led-rgb-light-car-decoration-light-strip-12v-5m-844281682#.Vhz8SPntlBc

http://eud.dx.com/product/2-4ghz-touch-sense-rgb-led-controller-white-dc12-24v-844217455#.Vhz8S_ntlBc

the results:

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Cockpit table lights
« Reply #1 on: October 14 2015, 13:41 »
Looks very good. The problem I have is that the led strip I used has broken down despite claims it is 'waterproof'. How long has your installation been in place?

solar

« Reply #2 on: October 16 2015, 16:39 »
Looks great!
Can you please show and explain how did you wire everything together?
Any drilling needed? where?
Thanks

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: October 18 2015, 21:39 »
Sure!

I'll take some photos to post them here.

As I consider it as a part of lighting system, I took the power from the ceiling light of the aft cabin which is the closest light to the rudder wheel. In this way, all the cabin and cockpit lights are controlled by the same switch of the control pannel.

I made some new "faston" connections from that ceiling light and then (that was the difficult part) carried the new wires to the stern through the space bettwen the ceiling of the cabin and the seat of the cockpit.

once I got the wires in the stern of the boat (and removing the cover that is inside the aft cabin and under the cockpit table, it was easy to drive the wires to the cockpit panel where all the electronics intruments are installed. 

The RGB control unit of the light are inside the cockpit panel and the wires fron the controller to the led's strips, are passing through a small drill (made from outside) in the space that is under the edges of the cockpit table.

I'll take some photo in order to explain all that a little bit better....  I beg your perdon for my poor english  :(     

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
« Reply #4 on: October 21 2015, 10:22 »
Lights look really smart in the pictures!  :tbu

If you could post up some info on the actual wiring etc.

Thanks,

Will

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 22 2015, 00:09 »
I don't know about other models but my Bavaria 38 ( 2009 model) has a light switch on the panel that turns on the compass light.

If you have a similar situation you can take your power off the compass light wiring in the binnacle. You will need a switch on your Led lights so that they will not be always on when you need the compass light on. Just drill a small hole in the binnacle below the cockpit table for each LED outlet. The LED lights look great mounted out of sight under the cockpit table and away from where they can be damaged. The Binnacle should be easy to get into to do this. There are 6 screws holding on a cover behind the wheel on the 38.

My question is whether your legs look better under Blue, Green or Red lights as you enjoy a meal in the cockpit???

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine" 

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: October 22 2015, 11:37 »
hahaha!! ;D ;D ;D

As you suggest The first idea was to use the compass light as a power source, but i think it makes more sense to load the lighting circuit. (a liitle bit more complicated but more logical from my point of view).

But what is definitive is that checking the PANEL 301 specs, you'll see that the maximum load for the compass light is 10W/1A, and at a full power in WHITE color (all RGB leds on), this consumes more that 1.2A (14W at 12V).

The control unit is installed in the space that you are talking about.

As you may already imagined, one can set these LED's to emit WHITE light as well.

The great point of changing the color and luminosity is that you can use it in RED to serve as sailing light by night in order to move safely without disturbing your eyes response.

And we use to set it BLUE to make a "lounge-relaxing" enviroment to have a drink after dinner   ;);)

Anyway, my legs look horrible regardless the light color !!

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
« Reply #7 on: November 03 2015, 10:27 »
Thanks for the starting the thread, it inspired me to install some!

I bought pretty much the same as you, just a kit off ebay instead for about £20 posted.

See below:

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: November 07 2015, 21:14 »
Bravo!!!

;D ;D ;D

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: March 07 2016, 20:14 »
Anyone have any cool cockpit lighting ideas for the Bavarias in which the cockpit table folds down?