Author Topic: Upholstery  (Read 3899 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Upholstery
« on: October 09 2015, 11:42 »
My Bavaria 38 has the most uncomfortable upholstery in the salon.
Those original cushions are shaped upside down, to my opinion. Also the corners of the u-shape sofa are not really helpful. There would be no way for two people to sit together on either end and watch something on TV (resp. notebook). Only one might get a halfway comfy corner, while the other has to sit half in the air, feet on the bench. After ten minutes there is no more blood flow in the legs.
Has anyone made a interesting modification here ?
Any input is most appreciated.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: October 09 2015, 15:29 »
I replaced mine (they were worn out anyway) and made my own.

It's very easy to do so long as you have some good foam and fabric, a good quality sewing machine, and an electric carving knife.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 09 2015, 20:55 »
Hi; From what you are saying there are two issues?
Firstly the design of the seating, secondly the level of comfort. There are a couple of things you could do with the design. You could look a modification that lowers the table to form a base for another cushion. This will increase the area of the seating and allow you to ?snuggle? when watching TV. There are fittings and fixtures available on the interweb, that would enable you to modify the table to do this. You could use the existing fixing points, but would lose the table frame in lieu of a tube type fitting. On some later Bavaria?s this option is actually a powered raise /lower function. Otherwise I am sure with a little imagination and a sketch book you could design something that would work. You may consider a foot stall that could fit in to give that extra leg support? Should be relatively easy to knock up?
The life of the foam is somewhat limited, even without hard use it deteriorates with time. Both the replacement of the foam and /or the covers is something you can do yourself if you have a good sewing machine. (and as Bob says an electric calving knife!) You can get a heavy duty Singer machine that will sew up to 5 layers of canvas for about £260 in Argos.
Otherwise call Jim at JB marine, he is the very best trimmer, upholsterer, I have ever met. He tends to work around the Hamble area. He may have a few ideas on how to resolve your problems.
I have his mobile if you need it.

Best regards
Ant 
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #3 on: October 10 2015, 07:24 »
I replaced mine (they were worn out anyway) and made my own.

It's very easy to do so long as you have some good foam and fabric, a good quality sewing machine, and an electric carving knife.

Have you made any actual changes in the shape or did you "copy" the original design. Any pictures available, scetches, templates ?
Greetings
Horst

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #4 on: October 10 2015, 07:27 »
......Otherwise call Jim at JB marine, he is the very best trimmer, upholsterer, I have ever met. He tends to work around the Hamble area. He may have a few ideas on how to resolve your problems.
I have his mobile if you need it.

Best regards
Ant
I would love to call Jim, only problem, I live in Germany and the boat is in Slowenia. However, if he has done mod's on other Bav 38's and storing the templates we may get in business. Is there any e-mail?
Greetings
Horst