Author Topic: New helm instrument panel.  (Read 7139 times)

wakeymike

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B34
  • Boat Year: 2001
New helm instrument panel.
« on: September 22 2015, 11:22 »
I am fitting a new eS series 7 multi display  at the helm of Ginny ( bav 34 2001) and need to replace the instrument mounting panel. I wondered if anyone had done similar without resorting to the Bavaria plain white mount panel, which is currently out of stock in any case?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: New helm instrument panel.
« Reply #1 on: September 23 2015, 07:20 »
Yes, I made one up from a sheet of plywood, cut to shape, thoroughly sanded down to get as smooth a surface as possible. Then coated it with one of the Ronseal tinted products to obtain the colour I wanted, and finally gave it some six to eight coats of varnish with a gentle sanding down between coats to achieve a glass like finish. Cost maybe two pounds for a left over part of a sheet of 10mm marine ply, and the rest was from my store cupboard of previously opened and part used tins of timber treatments.
Cutting holes into it to enable instruments to be fitted was easy using either a jig saw or a large circular hole cutter, and the extra thickness meant that the wiring inside could take a slightly easier route to the instruments without any sharp bends. To obtain a watertight seal I purchased some thick black single sided adhesive tape from the local DIY shop and which was fitted around the perimeter of the panel, and finally secured the panel in place with self tapping screws. The screws caused the tape to be squashed down which keeps the water out, and with single sided tape the panel is easily removed should I need to do so. It has now been there for the past four years, and apart from an occasional wash down with fresh water it has needed no other maintenance.

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 23 2015, 08:35 »
"which is currently out of stock in any case?"

I am not sure if you are looking for original at all.
But should be still available...

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #3 on: September 23 2015, 10:24 »
Interesting. My B34/2001 has a black panel. Does that mean there was a colour choice during the build? Salty, I bet yours looks great but did you use gloss, silk or matt varnish?
ATB

Mark

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: September 23 2015, 10:39 »
Pedestal  look like same...
Even color is white.
White. Picture is later model B36. (2003-2005)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 23 2015, 17:30 »
Interesting. My B34/2001 has a black panel. Does that mean there was a colour choice during the build? Salty, I bet yours looks great but did you use gloss, silk or matt varnish?

Gloss, and I think it looks good, but then I've a vested interest in saying so !!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #6 on: September 23 2015, 20:42 »
Salty, yes I agree. Gloss always makes the best out of any grain but do you ever get any problem with reflection in bright sunlight? I want to move my instruments around and very much like the idea of a varnished panel.
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 23 2015, 23:01 »
Hi Mark,

No, reflections haven't been a problem so far, possibly the combination of the sun needing to be at the right height above the horizon and at the right angle to the binnacle combined with whether I'm standing or seated, or even whether I'm at the helm anyway such that getting everything just so doesn't happen very often. I have a repeater instrument for depth, speed, wind etc mounted just to the right of the companionway for basic information which, along with a remote control for the auto pilot which I use extensively, often means I'm not at the wheel other than for an occasional glance at the chart plotter. More likely to be a problem are sunlight reflections from the water, such that very often I'm using sunglasses.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #8 on: September 24 2015, 09:51 »
Hi Salty

Thanks for the info - sounds like something to have a go at this winter...
ATB

Mark

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 28 2015, 22:43 »
Go to B&Q, buy a wide UPVC sill board (about £20) 6mm thick or so. They come in various lengths with a 40mm lip on one edge. Use the old panel as a template. Cut with fine wood blade at medium speed with a jig saw. Finish edges with flapper wheel on drill, 120 grit is a good start, finish by hand with 400 grit on a cork sanding block.
Use a mastic tape on the back to seal and screw down with 316 stainless x head screws. (dome head). Apply silicone mastic to screws as you insert them. Trim mastic tape and seal edges if it pushes out, seal edge with a fillet of silicone. Use a wet tea spoon to remove any excess mastic and radius it to a nice finish.
You can lick a finger and gently smooth the surface to a professional finish provided it has not skinned over. Don?t put your mastic covered finger back in your mouth! If you prefer mix water and fairy liquid in 80-20 ratio and dip the spoon in this to prevent mastic sticking to it or your finger.
The finished job should look really good and will match the white plastic binical. 
Use the rest of the sill boad to make a transom door (with a drain hole/slot) to stop spray and wind freezing your feet in winter :-)

Best regards.

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 28 2015, 23:08 »
Wakeymike, Just checked my workshop. I have a section of UPVC board about 1/4 inch by 4ft by 2ft left over from when I did the same mod. PM me I will arrange to send it to you.

Best reagrds.

Ant.

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 29 2015, 08:33 »
Impavidus,     Interested in your idea for a transom door,   What did you use for the side slots, similar to the hatchway boards?

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 29 2015, 20:42 »

Moodymike. Hi, I used two short sections of white plastic U section about 1/2 inch square from the profile rack at B&Q cost about £3. I used a 3M hi tack industrial double sided tape (comes with a red backing tape) to fix them to the sides of the transom opening. I cut a slot in the bottom where it meets the plastic rudder cover/floor. The slot was about 9 inches long and 1 & 1/2 inches deep with radius ends. The return edge was left on the top forming a ridged long handel just below the rear seat molding.
Looked good, stopped things falling out the back and came out easy.

Best regards.

Ant. 

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 29 2015, 23:23 »
Thanks,  thought for next season.