Author Topic: Garmin AIS 600 and 300i radio  (Read 5318 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Garmin AIS 600 and 300i radio
« on: September 21 2015, 19:48 »
Bavaria Cruiser 33

I am having problems with my radio and AIS not working properly. Under the roof panel by the mast where the mast aerial connects to the internal coaxial I have found a large (size of my little finger) black coaxial cable.  which the mast aerial cable is connected too.
The cables connected to both the radio and AIS are white coaxial . Does anyone have any idea where the large black cable runs as I would like to check that connection . I would have thought it would go to the radio AIS location but is not at all obvious.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards Tony

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Garmin AIS 600 and 300iradio
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2015, 20:21 »
Are your VHF radio and your AIS both connected directly to that aerial wire, or are they both connected to an active aerial splitter first before connecting to that black coax wire? Your posting does not make that clear. If both are connected directly to the aerial wire and not through an active splitter, and I repeat active splitter, then you've probably blown one or both instruments where power from the transmission of one has passed directly to the receiver on the other.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: September 24 2015, 20:50 »
Hi . The whole installation was done by Clipper/Bavaria . I have now found the other end of the large coaxial cable it is down in the locker by the chart table. I assume installed at manufacture to reduce losses in the cable run .
The cable from the mast runs to the AIS I am told there is a splitter in the AIS 600. The out  goes to the 300i radio. After testing with an SWR meter it would appear both bits of kit are faulty . The is the second time the radio has failed.
This winter I intend to install a second fixed VHF radio so I have a back up.
Very disappointed with the Garmin kit but it is guaranteed for 3yrs and Garmin are sending an agent to fit the replacements. So that is something. But I have been required to jump through hoops to get this result.

Regards Tony

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 24 2015, 23:10 »
It's good that Garmin are sending their own agent to fit the replacement kit, hopefully they will be able to determine whether it was the original kit that was faulty, or if it was a faulty installation by Clipper/Bavaria. If it was working properly on completion of the original installation, it would suggest that the inbuilt splitter peculiar to the Garmin model of AIS unit has failed, thereby allowing full transmission power somehow or other to be fed from the AIS to the VHF Radio and vice versa, knocking each other out in the process. I think it is important that the fitter, or Garmin, if the failed instruments are returned to them, should examine and determine what has happened, as you don't want the same situation to be repeated.
As for fitting a second VHF radio, nothing wrong in doing that, but unless you intend going far in your boat you will probably find that a hand held radio would be quite sufficient for your needs. It's ideal for keeping in your grab bag should you feel the need to sit inside your liferaft, it's handy to keep near to the helm if your fixed radio doesn't extend that far, and it's a a whole lot less money to install.
Good luck with the investigations, and please let us know what the findings are.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 25 2015, 10:24 »
As for fitting a second VHF radio, nothing wrong in doing that, but unless you intend going far in your boat you will probably find that a hand held radio would be quite sufficient for your needs. It's ideal for keeping in your grab bag should you feel the need to sit inside your liferaft, it's handy to keep near to the helm if your fixed radio doesn't extend that far, and it's a a whole lot less money to install.

I'd agree with that, and I've just bought a Standard Horizon HX870E floating handheld with GPS and DSC, as a primary handheld.  It has a much bigger and clearer display than previous SH radios, and seems much easier to use.

I also fitted a GHS20 wireless remote to my Garmin 300iAIS radio - the remote clips on to a mount on the cockpit table and is very handy.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 05 2016, 08:14 »
Hi Tony,
What was the outcome of Garmins investigations, just curious?

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 05 2016, 19:04 »
Antrevell. Hi. I  am sure the AIS 600 has a splitter but I cannot find the schematic .PDF I had :( :( :(

I would suggest two actions when Garmin have sorted out your kit.
Firstly as posted get yourself a good handheld, waterproof, with lithium / iron batteries and a back-up battery pack. Keep the spare battery in your grab bag and the hand held tethered in the cockpit where it will not disappear into the deep blue but is to hand. The Horizon is a good option.
Secondly, buy the extra handset for the 300i (about £100) that can be mounted at the helm and gives you full function and 25w transmissions. It is waterproof and is plug and play through one cable. You can then get full power transmissions from the helm without going below in rough weather.

Hope this helps

Let us know how you get on.

Best regards.   
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

sidtowe

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 33 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 15 2016, 19:50 »
Hello,
Had an issue with the radio/AIS on my new 33 (poor signal) - the problem was caused by a faulty antenna cable run from the base of the mast to behind the switch panel - my Bavaria agent had a very difficult time running a piece of new antenna wire above the deckhead - it was close to being a cable run visible in the saloon!  There is a connection prone to problems that is fitted at the factory.
Happ sailing
sidtowe
Sidney Towe

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Re: Garmin AIS 600 and 300i radio
« Reply #8 on: February 23 2016, 20:33 »
Hi All
Sorry I lost my post hence no reply but now found.  RJ Marine came to boat > Found no problem with installation but AIS600  faulty and also the 300 i. Both replaced . And yes I have a remote control at the binnacle.
As I have little confidence in the garmin kit this is the third time it has been replaced . I have purchased Standard Horizon with AIS incorporated and the additional remote mike. I prefer the Standard horizon as the radio is self contained . With the Garmin you have to have the chart plotter switched on otherwise the radio does not get a fix. So I now have both remote mikes in cockpit .
Bit over the top but last year we sailed to Holland with no radio. I do have a handheld for local use but I find the range very poor .
I have this winter replaced the large coaxial that is standard fit with a normal 50 ohm coax .  I have 2 aerials on the mast so both radios are connected to individual aerials . I have plug and sockets in the ceiling at base of mast so I  can easily change over if one aerial failed aerial failed .   Thank you for all your advice

Regards Tony