Author Topic: Boat serial number  (Read 8592 times)

sverker

• Swab
Boat serial number
« on: September 08 2015, 17:36 »
Hi, is there a way to identify the production year based on the serial number?

The background is that I'm looking for a used Bavaria Sport 33 or 32 and it would be great if it's possible to use the serial number to verify that the production year is correct.

Thanks!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Boat serial number
« Reply #1 on: September 08 2015, 19:22 »
Yes, if you have a Google for "bavaria hin decoder" (HIN = Hull Identification Number), you shall find what you seek.

Bavaria HINs should all start with DE-BAV (DE = Deutschland = Germany), which are the country and manufacturer code. Do make sure you enter the dash, the decoder is a bit touchy about that.

However, when buying a boat the paperwork that you should verify (and receive if buying) are the original invoice to prove VAT was paid, which should give you an idea about when the boat was launched approximately. Don't buy a boat with missing/dubious paperwork. Also keep in mind that boats are often laid up in one year and finished/launched the next, for example my hull was built in 2000 but the boat wasn't launched until 2001, so it's not uncommon that production years are up to one year off.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sverker

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: September 08 2015, 20:09 »
Thanks for the reply!

I also found this link http://www.nordicaboats.com/html/hin-numbers.html that describes how to decode the numbers manually.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 09 2015, 09:28 »
The factory also issues a builders certificate for the boat which shows the completion date. This should be kept with the other original documents (Bill of Sale, VAT invoice).  Note that "model years" are used rather than calendar years, so my boat that was built this July is a 2016 model.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: September 10 2015, 19:53 »
.....Note that "model years" are used rather than calendar years, so my boat that was built this July is a 2016 model.

Thanks Symphony, that explains why the date shown in the HIN on my boat does not tally with the date of manufacture. Greatly appreciated.

sverker

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: September 26 2015, 21:06 »
I'm follow up this thread with another questions related to the HIN number.

If the HIN number plate on the starboard side at the aft end number is hidden due to an extended bathing platform. Is there some other place where I can find the number on a Bavaria?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: September 26 2015, 21:35 »
My HIN is moulded in the topsides, starboard, just inside the aftmost part of the cove stripe, not at the transom. Otherwise it'd also be in any survey, insurance papers, owners manual and the chain of ownership documents. If it's anywhere else on the boat I haven't seen it yet, and I've had most of it apart by now :)
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sverker

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: September 27 2015, 19:49 »
Thanks for the answer Yngmar!

I found this site (text below) that states that there is another second hidden number :)
http://www.walshsurveyor.com/yachts/articles/hin-number/

The usual location for a HIN/CIN would be the starboard side of the transom, above the waterline. As an example I have seen the following locations :   
Bavaria; Starboard topsides aft at logo (Full HIN number Plate or branded into gelcoat)           
A second HIN/CIN will be affixed in a secret location inside the boat but this location will only be known by the builder.