Author Topic: Fuel Tank Connections  (Read 5850 times)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Fuel Tank Connections
« on: March 31 2012, 10:06 »
The fuel tank connections on my (B32 2003) do not look very strong and simply a push fit into the tank, there is also a plastictic tube joining up two spare plugs.  Anyone have experience of these?

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Fuel Tank Connections
« Reply #1 on: April 04 2012, 03:25 »
Hi Moodymike

On our Bavaria 42 2005,  the fuel pickup started leaking and a friend of mine removed it and then drilled and tapped a new fitting into the tank for us. Not sure what those other fittings are for sorry.
Cheers

Stuart

TonyS

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 11 2012, 18:35 »
The fuel tank connections on my (B32 2003) do not look very strong and simply a push fit into the tank, there is also a plastic tube joining up two spare plugs.  Anyone have experience of these?

I think they are strong enough. There is no force on them.
Regarding the two connectors joined by a plastic pipe. I used one for my Eberspacher heater and the other for a metal pipe to the bottom corner of the tank. The latter I have connected to a coil of rubber fuel hose with a bung in the end. This coil sits on the top of the tank. Once a year I connect it to the Pela pump and remove any water or discolored fuel - generally less than a litre. I find this better than waiting for water/gunge to appear in the filters.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 16 2012, 12:59 »
Tony,  Are the fittings with the plastic tube a push fit? I want to do exactly what you have done to check fuel quality. How did you seal the tube going to the bottom of the tank?

TonyS

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: April 18 2012, 22:17 »
Tony,  Are the fittings with the plastic tube a push fit? I want to do exactly what you have done to check fuel quality. How did you seal the tube going to the bottom of the tank?

I am not at home now but from memory the rubber tank fittings are push fit, that the nylon elbows push fit into.
I removed the plastic tube. Put a bung in the nylon elbow of one and put a copper pipe through the other after removing the nylon elbow. I cannot remember the copper diameter but it was about 8 or 10mm.

The only problem I had was that in putting in the copper pipe the rubber fitting was moved and afterwards leaked a trace of fuel when the tank was full. I sealed it finally with red hemetite. Incidentally I also sealed my domestic fresh water pump using red hemetite with complete success, after it was distorted by freezing, .