Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean- engine compartment freshwater leak  (Read 4400 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Hi
Had water leaking in from cockpit drains which I have resealed and now have water weeping in from aft starboard corner of engine compartment, it's a strange one as looks as it seeping in through the fiberglass bulkhead at the corner behind the outlet for cockpit drains  Happens in heavy rain, water is freshwater.  Have sealed most stanchions from midships aft, still working forward with only few to do. 

Anyone had similar leak... driving me nuts as have to pump our water from engine compartment...after rain.  Though someone my be able to help?

John

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean- engine compartment freshwater leak
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2015, 06:11 »
I had similar problem but into the starboard cabin cupboards. The water was coming in through the screws on roof port-lights and the starboard side car track. The water was running around the inner skin, pooling in the roof liner and so the 'leak' sometimes occured when heeling too even when not raining :o
I removed all screws and resealed them. Been 'dry' since  :D

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 12 2015, 20:11 »
In my ocean 40 I have in the past had water come in via the instrument panel in heavy rain ,it then collects in the engine room.Geoff

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2015, 16:44 »
In the past on my B36 I had water leakage through the screw holes for the self tapping screws used to secure the plastic panel across the top of the area in way of the connection for the emergency tiller. This is a panel that fits below the helmsmans seat and is very approximately 60 cm square. When I bought the boat the screws were a stand back ten feet and throw them in fit, but that has since been sorted. Until then any water within the cockpit area would flow over, under and any other way possible past that panel before arriving at the screw holes where most of it would then take the difficult route and flow through, dropping onto the inner side of the stern counter and running forward to the engine room where it gathered. Some water would also land on cables or controls and would track along those cables to drip off at the lowest point. Finding the source of the leak paid dividends as once found it was cured and now no more water accumulating from that particular source. The rail stanchions remain something of a problem, but periodic dousing with Captain Tolleys keeps things waterproof for a good long period.

tera38

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 24 2015, 23:19 »
My B38H has fresh water coming through the transom somewhere - This water collects aft of a short rib (maybe 1" high) that runs across the boat full width behind the rudder post. If I'm motivated, after heavy rain, I'll get in there and mop it up. If not, then first time out for a sail, it must slosh around, over the rib in the transom, down the hull, past the sides of the engine bed, and into the water sump forward of the engine bed.