Author Topic: Bavaria Saildrive gater/rubber  (Read 7422 times)

Tony

• Swab
Bavaria Saildrive gater/rubber
« on: April 10 2015, 02:36 »
Hi All

Can anyone tell me where to purchase a replacement saildrive gater/rubber skirt? I am having trouble locating one to suit the hole cutout in the hull. The VP part for 130S drive has a squared off insert section whereas the hull hole is rounded at both ends???

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Bavaria Saildrive gater/rubber
« Reply #1 on: April 10 2015, 11:38 »
Volvo part store

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 11 2015, 14:30 »
I got mine from DDZ marine in Largs

Tony

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: April 12 2015, 22:49 »
Thankyou for the replies. The VP part does not fit the hull cut out unfortunately and VP dealer says that there is only one type available. It seems Bavaria may have their own to suit the hull (2007 42 Cruiser). Can anyone confirm this, or that there is a VP part suited to the rounded ends on the hull cut out?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: April 12 2015, 23:25 »
Does the skirt specifically have to fit the hole ? I thought it was just flat oversized rectangular piece of thin rubberised material with a slot for the saildrive leg that was glued in place where it met the surrounding hull. In that respect I've heard of some boats that have in the past lost theirs, a fact that did not get discovered until next time the boat was lifted out, so I don't think it's critical to fit a specific shape, just that it should cover the hole.

Tony

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: April 13 2015, 01:07 »
I think you are correct Salty. It probably doesnt need to be the VP part and a piece of insertion rubber would probably do the same job. I am just trying to use the original parts where i can.  The part i removed and also the new VP part that i have, both have a raised section on the top side (hull side) which fits up into the hole in the hull. If this shape is incorrect it is impossible to glue the rest of it flat to the hull. Also clearance from fwd part of leg to hull is too small for the VP part. Please see photos - square peg roung hole..... :-\

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: April 16 2015, 23:20 »
Our 36 has a hole the same shape as Tony's and the rubber fairing fits OK. But it is only a fairing to smooth of the hull and the keep any growth out. One assumes that when the boat was built there was a fairing to fit.

Tony

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: April 21 2015, 01:26 »
Thanks Bill. Yes there was a fairing that fitted, but it was split and needed replacement. Have you sourced a new one for your boat? If so where from - VP or from Bavaria?

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: April 22 2015, 19:41 »
http://www.keypart.com/stock/854932-r

On the keyparts website select Volvo Penta, and the Saildrive, select your model - there they are (my link provides and example) at about £30.

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 25 2015, 21:53 »
I have almost given up on this gaiter. Mine has been replaced at least 5 times, by dealer and myself. Every time the boat is hauled the rubber is gone. Have tried different adhesives, same result. Have replaced it with original part from Bavaria and also tried making one myself from sheet rubber. Same result. The last time I contacted Bavaria USA they wanted to charge me special shipping from Germany, about $75 !!!

Bill_Giles

• Swab
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: April 26 2015, 08:04 »
Sorry to hear of that, ours has hung on there well with ordinary Bostic impact adhesive, although we had one year it came off and next year did it carefully in accord with the glue makers instructions and it has been maybe four years.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: April 26 2015, 08:16 »
Mine came off the first year after purchasing the boat from new. I refitted a new one and glued with same adhesive (and suppliers instructions) as that used for patching a rib. Still solid 7 years later  :)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 26 2015, 12:50 »
Same here product is Bostic 2402

Tony

• Swab
« Reply #13 on: May 06 2015, 23:13 »
Hi All

Finally sourced a new rubber through Bavaria. The VP part definitely was never going to fit. Interestingly though, the Bav part is flat on both sides as opposed to the raised profile on the upper side of the VP one. When i need another in the future i will be cutting my own from a sheet of insertion rubber.........Thanks to all who posted comments and advice

Cheers

Tony

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #14 on: May 07 2015, 05:42 »
Thanks Tony, Ref posting 4 above, I guess the old one I'd seen must have been a Bavaria part rather than Volvo.