Author Topic: Holding tank level alarm  (Read 7585 times)

Chris

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav30
  • Boat Year: 2007
Holding tank level alarm
« on: March 08 2015, 15:38 »
Hi. Have a 2007 Bav30. The holding tank alarm is up. The tank is empty. Sensor looks clean - inspected visually. The alarm reads 75%. I've disconnected and the alarm is still up. connected both wires together still 75%. Unable to find the Calira website for any information. Any ideas?

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Holding tank level alarm
« Reply #1 on: March 11 2015, 16:45 »
These alarms of that era for both the holding and water tank are not only lame in their "all or none" steps (75%, 100% etc), but particularly for the holding tank have a tendency to gunk up on the inside and stay on.

I disconnected the alarm on my holding tank a couple of years ago for the same issues you have, and seem to recall there was a way to reset the alarm on the main panel. Have you looked through the (sparse) boat documentation for the latter?

It may also be that once the wires were disconnected from the tank sensor the alarm eventually cleared itself, I can't quite remember.

Still have it one my "to do" list to install proper externally mounted tank monitors both tanks...

Riyad
Vancouver, Canada
2009 B31 Cruiser "Battuta"

Chris

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav30
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 13 2015, 20:11 »
Hi Battuta. Thanks for the reply. tried to find some information on this - none in the manual I could find. The alarm will accept - not clear - that's what I find annoying. Hence tried disconnecting the level etc. I'll keep at it and advise if I fix it.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: March 14 2015, 16:27 »
Chris,

We have a Bav 38 ( 2009) and had similar problems. Gunk gets caught on the sensor and completes the circuit.

We fixed the problem ( for 3 years) by coating 1/2 the probes with superglue. This was from the base to about 1/2 way along. It worked fine until last year.

Looking at another way of resolving the problem now.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
« Reply #4 on: March 20 2015, 11:04 »
Have a Bav 40 (2009) same problem, just put up with the alarm and reset when it reminds me. visually check the tank level. Though that does not always work! A story that will go into the books, and my wife no longer believes me when I tell her there is room for one more! Let me know if a solution is found.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 20 2015, 14:28 »
I had the issue on my Bav30 some years ago and almost went crazy for some month with that issue. In fact, the probes "look" clean but they are not, especially on the upper section, close to the cap. To clean them properly, I used the water garden pipe and thru the opening of the tank, applied some water under pressure all along the sensors, especially the top part. Since then, no problem.

Craggles

« Reply #6 on: March 22 2015, 06:39 »
I have the same problem on my 2008 37 cruiser. I disconnect the wiring on the cap, unscrew the cap and wash it. Every now and again I have to repeat. We have lived aboard for two years and while I am having a pee of a night, I open the door and check how full the tank is. We only pee in the holding tank in the marina so we empty every few days. Urine is 95% water and 5% uric acid and does no harm the the environment at all.
Craggles

Happy Sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 33c
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: March 26 2015, 07:23 »
The problem can also be caused by a fault at the distribution panel, as mine proved to be. After Clipper quoted me an astronomical figure for replacement I made my own mods. See 18.11.14 in post "Flashing LED light on main distribution panel"