Author Topic: replacement engine control cables  (Read 3637 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
replacement engine control cables
« on: May 24 2015, 07:32 »
Its time to replace both cables. Original are VP but I will consider any brand only what should I watch out for in terms of specification grade etc. Any advantage in Teflon coated cables? Cables are between 3.5 & 4 m long engine tmd22 75 hp

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
Re: replacement engine control cables
« Reply #1 on: May 24 2015, 09:40 »
I decided to measure my cables, as I couldn't see any markings. So how to measure something that has poor access, and bends in awkward places. I came up with an idea: I found a bit of flexible conduit that had been split, and cut it into a 50cm length. Now I've got a ruler that will follow the curves. Add a marker pen, and all set. So having done this, and found that the throttle cable is 5m and the gear cable is 5.3m, I remember about the hatch in the side of a cockpit locker that opens below the Morse control. D'OH!

There I find markings, as below:

The markings say that the throttle cable is 5.25m (cf. 5m measured) and the gear cable is 5.75m (cf. 5.3m measured). The difference in lengths is because I measured the cover, and the stamped length is between nipples. The stamped lengths are what you need, or you can add an appropriate amount.

However, in my case, the throttle cable has 45cm further to go at the engine end, so should be the longer one. Also the gear cable had a 95cm bigger loop in the sugar scoop. I'm wondering if they had been fitted on the wrong way round. Both cables made a long sweeping curve in the sugar scoop, but the gear cable went the aft side of the steering quadrant.

I decided to buy shorter cables, as I've been told that cables runs ideally should have long straights and bends of approx 25cm radius. I ordered "Drive Force 330X (33C Superior) control cables" from ASAP:

Part Number: 610616 330X SUPERIOR CABLE 04.75MTR LONG   1   £30.29
Part Number: 610618 330X SUPERIOR CABLE 05.25MTR LONG   1   £31.64

Much cheaper than anywhere else I found, for similar upgraded cable.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #2 on: May 25 2015, 14:28 »
Many thanks (again) Nigel. I am in turkey with the boat so not much chance to use asap. There is a choice here of  brands but apart from price its difficult to make a comparison

Imagine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 09 2016, 17:05 »
Has anybody had the. Problem of. Putting the selector in neutral and it takes a long time to rev up

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 09 2016, 22:46 »
Do you mean pressing the button in to disengage the gear selector cable and moving the lever forward? If so it should have the same effect as operating the lever with it in gear. Check what happens at the engine end when you try it.

Imagine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: June 10 2016, 20:07 »
Thanks I will try that