Author Topic: Teleflex Morse Cables B47 (2000)  (Read 4448 times)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Teleflex Morse Cables B47 (2000)
« on: January 27 2015, 11:07 »
I'm replacing my B47 (2000) "Morse" Control with Volvo Penta 3888311, like this:

I decided to measure the my cables for replacement at the same time. I couldn't see any markings. So how to measure something that has poor access, and bends in awkward places? I came up with an idea: I found a bit of flexible conduit that had been split, and cut it into a 50cm length. Now I've got a ruler that will follow the curves. Add a marker pen, and all set.

So having done this, and found that the throttle cable is 5m and the gear cable is 5.3m, I remember about the hatch in the side of a cockpit locker that opens below the Morse control. D'OH! There I find markings, as below:

The markings say that the throttle cable is 5.25m (cf. 5m measured) and the gear cable is 5.75m (cf. 5.3m measured). I assume that the difference in lengths is because I measured the cover, and the stamped length is between nipples. It was an interesting task none the less.

ASAP Supplies have cross referenced the 1140188 part number to a 5.25m cable and the 1140190 to a 5.75m cable. However, the cross reference does not tell me what size the threads are on each end: these would either be a 3/16" or 1/4".

I?m not on the boat again until I want to replace them, so I will need to find out the thread size another way. I have a picture, not sure if it helps. Any ideas?

Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Teleflex Morse Cables B47 (2000)
« Reply #1 on: January 31 2015, 14:30 »
Hi,
I changed my cables on a 37 cruiser and these are the same as you have. I do not know the diameter in inches but the Morse reference is called "Morse cable 33c".
There are other brands than Morse, some are with teflon and are easier to bend.
If you do not find the exact same length, as many brands sell cables in inches and not meters, just go for a bit longer, it will fit. It can be like the longer one, so that you carry only one reference for spares.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Teleflex Morse Cables B47 (2000)
« Reply #2 on: February 04 2015, 02:48 »
I've come to the conclusion that my cables were fitted the wrong way round. The throttle needs to be longer, but is the shorter cable, the gearbox cable takes a long route in the sugar scoop.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator