Author Topic: replacing port lights  (Read 2749 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
replacing port lights
« on: January 06 2015, 14:02 »
anyone had any experience of replacing the lewmar portlight perspex , I have a b38 2003 , I managed to buy new perspexs off lewmar with decent discount (due to early crazing ) misstakenly thought simple matter of unbolt old and slip in new , firstly hinge pins different diameter , but no bodge poss there , so need to remove old hinge posts and fit new (supplied ) , however when (if ) you mange to remove locating screw , post still wont come out due to lug on locating leg behind slot in frame

guess if frames hadnt been so accurately fitted there would be wiggle room , there aint . similar prob with catch posts at bottom .

ideas . experience ,

i put off last winter , shame to do again .

cheers

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: replacing port lights
« Reply #1 on: January 06 2015, 15:30 »
I have done two of these and each time have said never again. Problem is the lip on the hinge post sticking in the frame ,had to enlarge slot with a Dremel, they will come out with effort. If they had not changed the pins would have been a 5 min job.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: replacing port lights
« Reply #2 on: January 06 2015, 16:14 »
exactly my thought , dremmel was my solution , hoped better way , Ive got 5 !!! , never mind prob of seized ss fastenings in ally frames

Cheers