Author Topic: cayman 88 windlass cabling  (Read 4067 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
cayman 88 windlass cabling
« on: January 02 2015, 01:41 »
Hi all,
Has any one tried to remove a Cayman 88 windlass fitted to Bav 41.

The cable appear to be unbroken from relay near nav station directly to the motor parts without any terminal block. I would have expected a service connection to be available outside the motor.

Would appreciate all help.

Regard

Robert wechsler
Aquapore

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: cayman 88 windlass cabling
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2015, 10:25 »
Same system on a B36

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2015, 18:58 »
What is it you need help with? The cable would appear to be installed correctly, with no joins.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2015, 20:16 »
Thanks for your reply.

I need to remove the windlass in order to have it serviced.

Its problem is that the mounting foot is severely corroded and needs to be repaired. The mounting bolts have pulled out of the base.  I intend to have a welder build up the base base and weld on a new substantial mounting flange.

To do this I must remove the existing casting through which the cables pass.

I cannot trace the cables between the windlass and the relay at the nav station.

The present situation does not allow the windlass to be removed or replaced.

Help would be appreciated.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2015, 23:29 »
I cannot trace the cables between the windlass and the relay at the nav station.

The cable will run in conduit.  Either pull it through, with a mouse line attached for re-installing, or cut and join it close to the windlass.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 03 2015, 11:41 »
Cut the cables  close to the windlass and put lugs on each end then use nuts and bolts to re-connect. Best of luck with repairing the base. You may find it worthwhile removing and replacing all the fastenings using duralec on the threads while you have it out - assuming the screws are not seized in.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: January 05 2015, 11:40 »
I had the same problem with my Cayman windlass... severe corrosion in the base thanks to the very stupid idea of mounting it in a rubber footing that provides a perfect moat for seawater to attack the aluminium windlass. Also found base securing bolts ( stainless) corroded in the aluminium housing. An engineering firm sliced off the offending bottom and fashioned a new aluminium base plate, tapped to join to windlass and tapped for new mounting bolts. A similar size base plate of polypropylene was made out of a thick plastic cutting board to lift the aluminium out of the 'moat'.
I discovered the special hypoid gear oil had never been changed... a must do.
Connections for the electrics were found in the bulkhead behind the forward panel of the front V-berth. This looked very poorly done and the cabling in the chain locker under the windlass platform could be damaged by the anchor chain.
I made absolutely sure all wiring through this forward bulkhead was taken as high as possible, secured to the platform underside, and generously sealed against water penetration with sikaflex, to prevent any water ingress from the chain locker to the V-berth.
Have had no problems ever since, but ensure flushing of windlass with fresh water after every outing, including of course anchor and chain.