Author Topic: bilge pumps  (Read 2627 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
bilge pumps
« on: October 23 2016, 15:45 »
Hi Chaps, im in need of double info, just been told by my syndicate members neither of our bilge pumps work. Im told  the johnson L2200 electric manual pump, when switched on at the panel just trips within a couple seconds. The  manual (put the s/s bar in) and pull up n down does not work either. Im off to the marina this week to check them out. Im hoping to find some sort blockage, any suggestions please. If all fails where can I get replacement on the south coast? Thanks Ray.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: bilge pumps
« Reply #1 on: October 23 2016, 18:11 »
The electric pump is probably seized. Check whether power is getting to it first. You can take it apart and check whether the impeller turns. If not then it is probably scrap. A Rule pump of the same capacity is a direct replacement, available from all chandlers. Difficult to say with the manual pump, but so rare to get water in the bilge to pump out that you never really know if it works anyway!

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 24 2016, 04:34 »
With the manual pump not working, depending upon when it was last tested, it could be the non return valves sticking. open it up and give them a jiggle to ensure they are free and a quick look at the seats to ensure that they will seal too.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: October 24 2016, 14:04 »
The electric Johnson is most likely just stuck. A gentle (actually not really that gentle) tap with a rubber mallet while switching it on will often get it going again. These should be switched on for 1-2 seconds every couple weeks to prevent this.

The manual one is probably a Whale Gusher model, at least mine is. Bring a service kit, the membrane is probably gone, the rubber gets brittle after a decade or so.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)