Author Topic: Heater installation for Bavaria Cruiser  (Read 7534 times)

haydude

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Heater installation for Bavaria Cruiser
« on: February 05 2012, 19:08 »
I am about to install an Eberspacher Heater on my Bavaria 42 Cruiser and I was wondering if anyone with a Cruiser series (37 to 47 should do) could post pictures of his installation. In particular I am looking for the location of the heater itself.

Thank you!

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Heater installation for Bavaria Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: February 06 2012, 11:52 »
They are usually mounted on the forward bulkhead of the stern space on the starb side through the stern cabin wooden hatch at the bottom of the bunk end. On a 38 there is lots of room in there.
And the heater hose comes through the space under the cockpit through the engine compartment.

Someone will send you a photo of the location I am sure.
Hope this helps

Odysseus
Odysseus

Nashira

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 06 2012, 23:37 »
I'm about to install the Webasto AirTop3900 in my Bav 40 Ocean and the technician has recommended to mount the unit in the transom area on the port inboard wall of the lazarette facing the rudder post. They plan to install vents in the aft cabin, salon and fwd cabin. They also plan to route the ducting along the port side under the sink and fridge unit and port seating to the V berth. I already have two fans beneath the fridge for additional ventilation and the techs are going to insulate the ducting that passes beneath the fridge unit to reduce any additional heat affecting the fridge cooling.

I thought of ducting on the stbd side, but the techies stated it would be a more straightforward installation routing along port side and avoiding the head and shower and ending up on the stbd side, where a vent would not be ideally suited.

The control unit will be beside the platform bed in the aft cabin - which will be nice on those chilly Tasmanian winter mornings.

I hope this helps. If anyone sees a potential problem with this installation recommendation, I hope you'll let me know before 11 February as it goes in then.

Cheers,

Ed
Ed

njsail

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: February 09 2012, 02:07 »
Nashira - I would be very interested to learn more about your heater installation.  I've been wondering where I would install a heater.  I have 2 reverse cycle AC/Heating units but in early spring and late in the season they are outside their operating range and don't provide heat.   I would like to have a dedicated heating source of some sort and have been thinking about where I would put the unit. 

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
« Reply #4 on: February 10 2012, 21:47 »
Haydude

We have a Bavaria 42 will post pics of the Espar install ASAP
Cheers

Stuart

Nashira

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: February 12 2012, 07:28 »
Unit was scheduled for installation yesterday... ahem... the kit from Melbourne didn't make the boat. Looks like this Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ed

Trevor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: April 11 2012, 10:47 »
I install a Makumi 30 unit a couple of years ago, I can take photo's and send them over if you like. I fitted the heater unit in the aft steering space on a board glassed to the deck and bolted through the stern which allowed the discharge hose and the exhaust to be run without any sharp bends. By the way I have a Bavaira 42 Cruiser. The fourth outlet in the forward cabin had to have an additional  inline fan installed as the air did not reach the area.

Nashira

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: August 03 2012, 00:52 »
Heater installed and it's ever so appreciated this cold winter mornings. The original unit had shutdown problems. Angelo at Able Marine, the firm doing a lion-share of the installations in this area, made a trip to my marina the day after I advised of the problem. He made adjustments and the unit appeared to be working - until after he departed. It was shutting down. I called him again and he arranged for the Melbourne Distributor to visit my boat. After checking things for about 15 minutes, they determined to replace my unit with a new unit, which they happened to have with them.

They installed the new unit and it's been working effectively since. It's so nice to be able to cruise in comfort in the winter!! I'm happy, The Admiral is warm and comfy - and happy, and even the cat is happy to curl up in front of any of the three warm air vents. Talk about win-win...

As the heater is on the opposite side of the bulkhead of the aft cabin island bed-head, there is some noise; however, after a number of cold days and even colder nights - we find the sound of the heater comforting rather than annoying and one can set the thermostat to a low value and the heater seems to cycle on and off more quietly than when it first starts.

All in all, if you like cruising and would enjoy the water during the winter months - the heater is an excellent investment in increasing your boat's utility and your crew's comfort and attitude!
Ed