Author Topic: Bavaria 34 2001. Saildrive gaiter replacement. Engine out?  (Read 5153 times)

Boatname

I have done a fair bit of searching but cannot get a definitive answer.

We are having our gaiter changed next year.

1. Does the leg come inside the boat or drop out of the bottom?

2. If the leg is drawn out through the inside of the boat does the engine have to be moved into the cabin?

I understand that the engine has to be moved forward 'a bit' to disengage it from the gearbox.

Any help appreciated and no, I can't ask the yard  :-\

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Bavaria 34 2001. Saildrive gaiter replacement. Engine out?
« Reply #1 on: December 10 2014, 21:42 »
As I understand it, you disconnect the engine and gearbox/Saildrive, move the engine forward by about eighteen inches.  This gives enough room to life the Saildrive out into the boat.  It won't drop down out of the hole its fitted through as the ring the diaphragm is attached to is too large to fit through the hole.

Boatname

« Reply #2 on: December 10 2014, 21:51 »
That was quick, thank you very much. It will make a big difference to us as we will be living onboard and having a 2020 on the cabin sole could affect the flow of food from the galley  :)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 11 2014, 00:55 »
Yes, the engine just moves forward. The job can be done in one day with 2 experienced fitters, or at worst out one day and back the next, so minimal interference with living!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: December 11 2014, 08:30 »
Yes, the engine just moves forward. The job can be done in one day with 2 experienced fitters, or at worst out one day and back the next, so minimal interference with living!
Agreed. See also http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,163.0.html
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Boatname

« Reply #5 on: December 11 2014, 11:39 »
Ah, I searched for gaiter not diaphragm (diaphram)

I'm interested in the 1-2 day comment, particularly the 1.

One UK yard has said "The job will take approximately 2 days to complete" and quoted labour at £920.

The French yard has quoted for the following:

Arrive at port, 'displace' engine, decouple, remove prop, clean up, drain oil and then take it back to their workshop ... (5kms).    Labour 8.5 hours at ?43 ph, ?365.50

Remontage platine!? Change the joint etc etc, revisit port, refit.   Labour 6 hours ?258

Next day! Visit port. Basically reconnect engine electrics diesel , assist the crane driver, take for a test run. Labour 4.5 hours ?193.50

Total of UK quote less crane £1182

Total of French quote less crane ?1410 ... "£1100"

The parts prices seem very similar so I guess the labour time is too = 2/3 days.

The French quote also mentions removal of woodwork, I'm not sure if on some boats this is structural or not but on my 34 there is just a piece of wood screwed across the boat, 5 mins max.

Thanks for all the advice.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2014, 12:07 »
Should not need a crane unless they are planning to lift the engine out completely. Changing saildrive (in a 37) took 2 fitters 9 in the morning to 4.30 in the afternoon. This came with the diaphragm already fitted so there would be a bit of extra time to split the drive to fit the new part.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: December 12 2014, 12:56 »
I suspect the crane is for lifting back in... (if they think they need one to move the engine, perhaps they shouldn't get the job).

ATB

Mark