Author Topic: Steering Wheel - Leather Glove Replacement  (Read 4709 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Steering Wheel - Leather Glove Replacement
« on: December 06 2014, 08:35 »
I have found a site - Seadogs Boat Leather based in Cornwall - who supply replacement 'kits' to refurbish the leather on the steering wheel for sewing on at home. Has anyone done this already and have any comment on the job (or alternate supplier) they would like to make?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Steering Wheel - Leather Glove Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 06 2014, 11:03 »
I replaced the leather cover on the wheel on my old boat about 12 years ago.  I chose a US supplier (www.boatleather.com) who offer an option of having closed cell foam under the leather.  This makes the wheel rim a little chunkier, a little softer and a little warmer.  They also offer a very wide range of colours and the choice of 2-3 ounce leather or 4-5 ounce leather.  The kit came with superb stitching instructions and the finished result looked totally professional.  When I sold the boat earlier this year, the cover still looked great.  The US kit is more expensive, but still good value.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: December 10 2014, 07:44 »
Thanks Tiger

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 12 2014, 11:42 »
I don't know whether this chap is still operating but he has done two wheels for me in the past. Wonderful job and very reasonable.

http://www.boatsandwatersportswebsite.co.uk/lambourne-leather-helm-wheel-covers