Author Topic: holding tank  (Read 3985 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
holding tank
« on: November 20 2014, 21:42 »
Hi All, my bav37 2002 does not have a holding tank, and I wish to install one in the wet locker. It houses the plumbing for tank change over and very close access to the toilet bowl/hand pump/flush pipework and sea cocks. 

Do I go for a gravity exit only tank via the waste outlet only? Meaning no possibility of suction removal.Is this system allowed in Europe?

Or do I go for an expensive purpose made system  with suction pump out?

Anybody fitted their own system, or fitted purpose made system.

rgds Ray

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: holding tank
« Reply #1 on: November 20 2014, 23:10 »
Hi Ray

Mine was already fitted when we bought her last year but I've spent quite a while fixing the pump ( :sick unknown to me, the duck-bill valve had inverted) so am very familiar with its layout and functions. I would have to say that, even if you didn't bother with the pump, I still think it's worth having the suction pump-out hose and deck fitting installed. It doesn't seem to be that much involved - an extra fitting in the bottom of the tank, a deck fitting and the hose to join the two. It may save you some unpleasantness if anything blocks, especially if you're relying on gravity to empty it.  :o
ATB

Mark

AB1707

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1997
Re: holding tank
« Reply #2 on: November 27 2014, 13:36 »
Hi

I've just started a similar topic. I've a gravity system installed but want to upgrade. It really depends on your intended sailing area.

This is my understanding

The general rule in Europe is they can only be discharged outside national limits so 12Nm + offshore.

We're hoping to visit the Baltic so pump out is a necessity. Many of the Med countries have similar rules. If you go as far as Turkey they now have a Blue card system that requires you proving your not discharging into their waters- by recording your pump outs or you maybe fined.

hope it helps

Adam