Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

rudder bearings bav 36

<< < (2/2)

KAOS:
When the bearing starts to stiffen, it is a sign of lack of use. What happens is the the bearing material swells and feel tighter. The more you sail your boat the less stiff it will be. Mine in since 1999 with no problems yet.

rangitoto:
I have a 38 - 2003 model. The helm had become very stiff. The photos in the link below are pretty much the same as on the Bavaria. If you can get the bearing (the lower bearing is the culprit) out without damage then a good clean up and replacement will make a fantastic difference at no cost.

Lack of use does not help as it allows salt crystals and marine growth to get into the bearing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41315554@N07/sets/72157622026477419/

JVS:
It's not salt crystals or marine growth as the previos person suggests.  The problem is that Bavaria uses a less expensive material for their bearings and they swell after about five to eight years..  If you remove the rudder and if you can remove the lower bearing, then you can shave a small amount off of the ID and OD.  Mine was the OD that was siezed and I had to cut it out..  This is only temporary.  The best option is to replace the lower bearing with one made of "Vesconite" .  The upper bearing will be fine, It's not exposed to salt water..  Good luck trying to get the bearing demensions from Bavaria, I tried and setteled for deteriming the dementions with a micrometer and having it fabricated..  Bavaria is aware of many of these problems and chooses to live in "The Land Of Denial!"...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version