Author Topic: Water connector leaking  (Read 4425 times)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Water connector leaking
« on: November 20 2014, 15:36 »
Easy question - I have a slow drip of water (4-5/min) from one of the connectors to the copper pipe. Can I take them apart 'cos I suspect it's just a case of cleaning up and refitting? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting - all to no avail. I bet it's really easy!
ATB

Mark

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Water connector leaking
« Reply #1 on: November 20 2014, 20:52 »
Hi Mark you just have to push the grey collar around the pipe back towards the white fitting and the pipe should come out :)
Cheers

Stuart

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #2 on: November 20 2014, 22:56 »
Hi Stuart

Hmm, thought I'd tried that but it may not have been hard enough as I wasn't sure and didn't want to break anything. Back down there soon so will give it another go. Many thanks for the info.... cheers.
ATB

Mark

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 20 2014, 23:41 »
These fittings have an O ring inside, and if the copper pipe is scratched or damaged it will leak.

So if you take the fitting off (push the collet back against the fitting and give the pipe a sharp tug), see if you can smooth all the scratches off the pipe with some fine wet and dry, then smear some Vasaline around the pipe before fitting it back together.  It should then seal ok so long as the O ring isn't damaged.

I should know, I designed the bloody things (well not actually those ones, but the JG ones).

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
« Reply #4 on: November 21 2014, 10:48 »
Good tip, IslandAlchemy, I'll give it a go. I've actually got a bag of fittings that I can remake the whole little Christmas Tree if I need to but it seems a big job to fix a minor problem so I prefer a repair.

Thanks to both of you. Cheers...
ATB

Mark

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: November 21 2014, 14:54 »
As Alchemy said and dead on.

I try do it annually as we don't haven' anything else to do. Remove all quick connections and smear some of that lovely petroleum jelly both in the oring and tube.

Next is the furlex lube job then winches... the joy of owning a boat :-)

I got so many types of grease, wife is afraid now.

Hratch
CRYSTAL I

R19kind

Water connector le
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2014, 02:08 »
dankeschone now to find a hot water tank- as we have a boiler for the heat/water. this sukas just the water tank, right?

Boatname

« Reply #7 on: December 12 2014, 07:53 »
Just to add to this, my red pipe fractured too. It came off as described above. The reason it failed is that I had somehow knocked it out of a clip further forward and it was hanging down like yours, putting a strain on the fitting. Worth checking.

Vjs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 12 2014, 21:57 »
So we are in the company of the inventor of the John guest pipe fitting,
I feel very honoured, you have saved me a lot of time and money in my line of work, thankyou

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 12 2014, 22:28 »
No, not the inventor (I think that was a man called Guest). Just one of the design team.