Author Topic: Rudder bearing maintenance oil  (Read 4798 times)

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
Rudder bearing maintenance oil
« on: November 04 2014, 10:19 »
I am about to try the addition of oil to lubricate the bearing of the rudder on my boat (as shown by Odysseus in his photos). Is the oil poured onto bearing, via a funnel (again using Odysseus's photos as a guide) between the rubber and the shaft or via the cap at the top of  the rubber seal? Also do you need to loosen both top and bottom ss clamps?
Devocean

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Rudder bearing maintenance oil
« Reply #1 on: November 04 2014, 16:01 »
As the photos show, top screw clip is undone jamming funnel into top of rubber tube, may have to use screwdriver to open up, then pour in oil, any oil, thicker the better. Put clip back in place.

Best to do this when still in water as oil sits on top of water until lift out, so is level around the bearing. Then move rudder to full extent backwards and forward when oil appears from top of rudder.

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 04 2014, 18:08 »
Mine is due to be lifted out this Friday, all being well, so am about to try this too as it make good sense to me.  I was planning to use a bit 10-40 but, perhaps some 80 or 90 gearbox oil might be more effective and last longer? - thoughts...

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: November 04 2014, 18:21 »
Thick or the new synthetics are good as they stick to the surfaces.

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 05 2014, 06:41 »
Many thanks Odysseus. Hopefully oil will work.

Wayne

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: November 05 2014, 08:52 »
After a change of rudder and bearings ( not paid for by me, thankfully) and still the rudder went stiff I have used olive oil from the kitchen. Done this for 4 years.
Easier to get oil in if you undo the bottom jubilee clip and slide rubber tube up the shaft. Top of metal tube is above sea level on my boat.;

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: November 14 2014, 15:12 »
Did my bearing last weekend , no need to undo any jubilees , just poured oil against and around shaft (clips facing wrong way - too lazy to open up other side ) , worked wheel a few times and hey presto oil appeared below .

Ive been lucky and bearing seems very free b38 2003 , But has been in weekly use for last 3 years weve had the boat , hoping to keep it that way , will prob relube before it goes in water .

thanks for tips .