Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Retro Fit spinnaker pole Bav 46?

(1/2) > >>

Blue Heeler 1:
We have a new to us Bavaria 46 cruiser (2005), she is great but sailing downwind is hopeless with no spinnaker pole.  We want to fit one to pole out the genoa or also use a chute or spinnaker.  We are planning on a lot of downwind sailing across the Atlantic soon!  Does anyone have any experience retro fitting a pole?  I have seen the standard system on a Bavaria 44 from 2006, but wondering if anyone has any experience with this?  Either off the shelf or piecing one together and self installing?
cheers

dawntreader:
I'm about to go down this route on my B37 over this Winter. If I can't get the yard to do it in reasonable time I will go down the 'self assembly' route. I will post an update on my findings.
Are you crossing this year or next?

nornie lees:
I will be watching this tread closely as im thinking getting a pole and chute this winter for my bav37 2002.

Has anybody bought tube, fittings, and riveted them up themselves?  Only a rigger told me once its a lot cheaper.

rgds Ray

dawntreader:
The yard told me it's £40 per hour each for two fitters and will take half a day. They are paid from when they leave and it's and hour drive each way to my boat - £480 labour (+ VAT?). I am planning to do the installation work myself and am just waiting for the quotation for the parts (which will now include a Selden Bowsprit  ::). I will post an update as and when.

Salty:
Have you considered going down the route of using an ATN Tacker instead of a spinnaker pole ?
I've got one and have used it single handed along with a snuffer, and have found it very easy to use in light winds. Up to now I've not tried using it in anything above force 2 to 3 where an extra pair of hands might make a difference
The following web address shows the item and they have a short video demonstrating its use
www.atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml
I can confirm that it is as easy to use as the demonstration video shows. They are sold in the UK by Seateach, and I guess you would need the largest of the three sizes on offer. I had been looking at getting a spinnaker pole, but after using the Tacker the idea of a spinnaker pole has gone out of the window.
Good luck with whichever system you choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version