Author Topic: Spinnaker on a Bav 30 Cruiser  (Read 4870 times)

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Spinnaker on a Bav 30 Cruiser
« on: September 02 2014, 15:50 »
I've just bought a spinnaker off Fleabay and now I have to sort the rest of the string and blocks. Any advice from anyone who has already done this would be much appreciated.

I'll put large blocks on the toerail close to the primary winches for the sheets.
I'm not sure how to rig the blocks for the guys. Maybe a small block on the toerail and a twinning line running through it to a camcleat? Then there would be another small flying block (or a ring) on the sheet.
Should I run the halyard back to the cockpit? That will require an extra block at the mast base, doubling up on one of the deck organisers, and stealing the topping lift clutch for the halyard.
I already have a whisker pole with an uphaul on the outboard end. Will that be man enough for the job? Will I need a downhaul as well?

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Spinnaker on a Bav 30 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: September 09 2014, 12:20 »
Bump!

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 09 2014, 12:44 »
yup run halyard back
your blocks for sheet guy sound good , though you may get away without a guy ,just be able to pull sheet into guy position with adjustable floating block .

you will need a downhaul on pole

praps someone with a b30 can give more specific advise

good luck

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 04 2014, 20:26 »
I've had a spinnaker sail onboard for the last five years that I've owned my B36, but with no spinnaker pole and no previous experience of using a spinnaker, the sail essentially had never been out of its storage bag. The other day I saw someone suggesting that an A.T.N. Tacker was the way to go, and having looked at their website, and at their short video showing how it is used, I bought a medium sized tacker from SeaTeach (in the UK) who were the local agents for this piece of low tech equipment. Last week I took it out to try, and it worked a treat. There were very light winds at the time and I didn't have a snuffer to use when it came time to de power the sail, but single handed I had no problems on that occasion. The sheets for the sail were lead around the outside furled Genoa and forestay, such that tacking the spinnaker was done in much the same way as I'd tack the Genoa, and no spinnaker pole was needed. I'll add some photos if I can later.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 05 2014, 21:11 »
I've just bought a spinnaker off Fleabay and now I have to sort the rest of the string and blocks. Any advice from anyone who has already done this would be much appreciated.

I'll put large blocks on the toerail close to the primary winches for the sheets.
I'm not sure how to rig the blocks for the guys. Maybe a small block on the toerail and a twinning line running through it to a camcleat? Then there would be another small flying block (or a ring) on the sheet.
Should I run the halyard back to the cockpit? That will require an extra block at the mast base, doubling up on one of the deck organisers, and stealing the topping lift clutch for the halyard.
I already have a whisker pole with an uphaul on the outboard end. Will that be man enough for the job? Will I need a downhaul as well?

My only experience of spinnakers is in racing as part of a crew.  I am only now just setting up my first cruising chute - never bothered before!  Yes, IMO you will need a downhaul on the pole to hold and set the sail in the best shape (as has been said).  Be a bit careful with a light weight whisker pole, particularly if its a fully extended telescopic one (thus at its weakest) as the forces can be build up quickly in gusts and might bend/fold the pole.  Probably be OK in light conditions.

As per discussions on another thread, I am going the ATN tacker route to avoid using poles (though I too have a whisker pole for the jib) and too much string when shorthanded.  Not as good on a run as using a pole, but perhaps simpler and easier.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 05 2014, 21:14 »
Sorry, just read the other post again and see you have already gone the tacker route too!

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 11 2014, 18:56 »
My wife and I also jibbed with the sail . Just keep the lazy line outside of furled