Author Topic: Steering Wheel: What is THIS? and where to purchase  (Read 12587 times)

cheshire

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav34
  • Boat Year: 1999
Steering Wheel: What is THIS? and where to purchase
« on: September 26 2014, 19:35 »
Hi guys.
Something goes bad and I loose some detail of my steering wheel on my Bav 34/3 (1999).
Kindly ask you to help me with identification this part of my boat and to find where can I purchase it online.
Many thanks and regards,

solar

Re: What is THIS? and where to purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 26 2014, 19:51 »
Simple.
Steering Wheel brake broke.
Contact any Lewmar dealer.
 :tbu

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 27 2014, 12:39 »
It's also described as "Whitlock Lewmar Bavaria Brake Spinner 10mm" - search on google. Cost is about £18

cheshire

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: September 28 2014, 17:56 »
Many thanks but "Product Is Out Of Stock" in all sources.
Any suggestions? Maybe some alternative from another brands?

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: September 29 2014, 06:22 »
you can find it here:

http://www.des-boots-service.de/boot/0/9/Steuerungen-Ultraflex/Steuerraeder.html

I put "Lewmar Brake Spinner" into google and get lots of shops. Maybe its good to know where you are located.

regards

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 29 2014, 13:51 »
Find a nice bit of teak off cut and drill a hole to fit the end of the bolt and glue it in. Should work fine until you get a new one or decide it does the job.

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 29 2014, 19:49 »

cheshire

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: September 29 2014, 22:03 »
Find a nice bit of teak off cut and drill a hole to fit the end of the bolt and glue it in. Should work fine until you get a new one or decide it does the job.
Thanks. The boat will be winterized so now its not so critical. But thanks in any case.
you can find it here:
http://www.des-boots-service.de/boot/0/9/Steuerungen-Ultraflex/Steuerraeder.html
I put "Lewmar Brake Spinner" into google and get lots of shops. Maybe its good to know where you are located.
regards
Thanks. There is a new one for another type of system. AS well as on other website which I found. Maybe my Google is broken but everything that I can find using this search phrase is this item: 89100143 BRAKE SPINNER COMMODORE and not my old one..
Check availability there:
http://www.uchimata-shop.fr/accessoires-de-barre/4289-frein-de-barre-a-roue-85mm-lewmar.html
A french dealer, very helpful.
Thanks for link! Its present there but I think they have no possibility to send it to Croatia where the boat is located as when I try to purchased it I receive a message: Aucun transporteur n'est disponible pour cette sélection
Google says me that this mean "No carrier is available for this selection" :( And then after my ignorance:
    Il n'y a pas de transporteur qui livre à l'adresse sélectionnée. (There is no carrier who delivers to the selected address.)

Will be MORE than thankful if someone could help with purchasing or have possibility to help with some contacts for worldwide shipping this item.
Regards to all Bav community.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 30 2014, 10:38 »
Suggest you contact Lewmar direct. They will sell by mail order or you can get the address of their dealers in Croatia.

All the information is on their website www.lewmar.com

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: September 30 2014, 16:55 »
Out of interest, are these locking screws meant to unscrew fully? Mine are very stiff, and perhaps need some lube, but I'd need to remove them to do it properly.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
« Reply #10 on: September 30 2014, 17:25 »
Below screenshot.
There might be sku´s
if needed.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #11 on: September 30 2014, 17:36 »
Nigel,
In reply to your comment 'are these meant to unscrew fully', please note that I keep mine fully unscrewed and in the binnacle table when sailing so that it does not accidently tighten (again) and interfere with the autopilot operation. I believe its function in life is to stop the rudder from moving side-to-side once you are at anchor - that's when I fit and tighten it. Mine has always spun freely for removal.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #12 on: September 30 2014, 18:53 »
And when you spin it freely, hang onto it. They like to go scuba diving if your not careful!!😜

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: September 30 2014, 22:35 »
Out of interest, are these locking screws meant to unscrew fully? Mine are very stiff, and perhaps need some lube, but I'd need to remove them to do it properly.

Mine spins freely, and has been removed many times while sorting out my autopilot issues. I tighten it in the marina or at anchor to stop the rudder flopping about. For sailing I just free it off and leave it in situ. The thread is quite long so I've never had a problem with it coming right off of it's own accord (now there's tempting fate!).

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #14 on: October 02 2014, 07:08 »
Nigel,
In reply to your comment 'are these meant to unscrew fully', please note that I keep mine fully unscrewed and in the binnacle table when sailing so that it does not accidently tighten (again) ...
I may have a problem then: both of mine are quite hard to turn, they turn just a couple of rotations  in either direction before becoming very stiff. What is the mechanism for doing the locking?

cheshire

• Swab
« Reply #15 on: October 05 2014, 22:43 »
Below screenshot.
There might be sku´s
if needed.
Thanks!
Just contact them and no luck :)
Lewmar BRAKE SPINNER PLASTIC WHITE M10 26,72 26,72 ?
1 freight costs to Croatia 35,00 35,00 ?

Delivery will cost more then item. Have no literature words:)
Will try to contact Lewmar directly.

So as I understand from thread - its not critical to loos it? I think its used to fix wheel (attaching it to pedestal) but here found that this is just to fix it from side to side movement during docking so not so important and I have some time to find yep?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Steering Wheel: What is THIS? and where to purchase
« Reply #16 on: October 06 2014, 10:48 »
If the spinner is left loose, there is a risk that it might come off along with the wheel. Not in itself too much of a problem, but there is a small and insignificant looking piece of metal which could drop out and get lost, it's called a "Woodruff Key, and it's odds on if it dropped out, it would bounce overboard. This key locks the wheel to the steering shaft, and without it you would have to resort to using the emergency tiller.

Now which cockpit locker was the tiller left in 😱

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #17 on: October 06 2014, 12:48 »
The white plastic bit does not hold the wheel and hence the woodruff key in place. It only controls the amount of friction in the wheel brake via a push rod. To remove the wheel the large nut under the white plastic bit has to be undone with a winch handle[now you stand a good chance of loosing the key] Geoff

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 06 2014, 15:37 »
The white plastic bit does not hold the wheel and hence the woodruff key in place. It only controls the amount of friction in the wheel brake via a push rod. To remove the wheel the large nut under the white plastic bit has to be undone with a winch handle[now you stand a good chance of loosing the key] Geoff

Yep - that is how mine is.  I leave mine just loose whilst sailing and tighten it when moored.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #19 on: October 21 2014, 23:58 »
The white plastic bit ... only controls the amount of friction in the wheel brake via a push rod...
I can't get my head around this idea. Any exploded diagrams available?

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #20 on: October 22 2014, 08:35 »
The white bit ,when screwed in pushes on a push rod [which is loose] the push rod impinges on a friction plate within the steering head. Geoff