Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Fly screens

(1/1)

Ziffius:
Has anyone purchased lewmar fly screens especially on a Bav 39? Was thinking of making my own push fit for top hatches but the port lights are a little more complicated. I've been making do with Velcro screens on the outside but they tend to peel off.

Baltic:
Hi

I asked sku´s from Lewmar on sep 2013.

It look like
Bavaria spare-part department still listed 30144200.
Might be available via Bavaria dealer. 

Lewmar´s answers and SKU´s below.

Hatches
30160100 LOW PROFILE 276X556         
30160200 LOW PROFILE 556X556   

Portlight 30154200  (barrel)
flyscreen for it 30144200

"I am sorry to say we do not have any flyscreens left for those portlights"

s/y Susanne:
We have a single Lewmar screen and it's poor in comparison with our current solution:
Buy a reel of self-adhesive "hooky side" Velcro about 1" wide.( or wider and slit to size)
In the companionway and the large deck hatches clean the inner-face of the plastic trim with alcohol or detergent and scourer and stick the Velcro tape on. In the companionway we have a strip along the stern end of the sliding top and the net stows there in daytime.

Buy fine netting or mosquito net material and simply cut a piece with ample spare and tack it in place. Miraculously it sticks well to the Velcro and can be pulled off quickly if one needs to close a hatch when it rains.

Around the small port lights I have removed the trim, cleaned and stuck 8mm wide strips of said Velcro. With an enlarged rectangle of net you can form an insect-proof defence and still have space to open and close the port-light.

In comparison the rotating clips for the "official" screen often fail to effect a good all-round seal.

If it is midges you seek to exclude then netting has to be VERY fine weave. We have watched them land on standard mosquito net, crawl through the weave and fly again on the inside!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version