Author Topic: EDTA as scale remover for heads outlet pipes?  (Read 4701 times)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
EDTA as scale remover for heads outlet pipes?
« on: July 30 2014, 08:20 »
I have cleaned the elbow by soaking it in a solution of about 10% EDTA (ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid - sodium salt) this is a common cleaning agent for metal corrosion products...

It is also used as a scale remover in industry. I wonder if EDTA would shift the scale inside the outlet pipes in the heads?

I've brought a bag of the scale home with me for testing (yuk!) so any suggestions and offers of small samples welcome.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: EDTA as scale remover for heads outlet pipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 30 2014, 09:15 »
I would be interested in your resaults, having changed my pipes on 3 boats, not the best of jobs. I have seen this product advertised and like to know if anyone has used it.

http://www.leesan.com/index.asp?m=3&cat1=77&cat2=86&p=120&t=LeeScale%20Bio-Degradeable%20De-Scaler%20(1%20litre)

Odysseus
Bav 38

Odysseus

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 30 2014, 13:07 »
Hi all

EDTA will dissolve calcium and most other metal salts and oxides. Over extended periods (many days) EDTA will cause mild pitting of steel and will attack zinc ie brass and gal fittings,  again over several days.

The scale that forms in heads is calcium carbonate. Sea water is at saturation with calcium carbonate - shells are calcium carbonate. EDTA will remove calcium carbonate but a 10% hydrochloric acid will do it much faster (minutes). Watch out for brass and steel components with HCl.

Hope this helps.

Aquapore.

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 30 2014, 13:23 »
Yes I have used it on my exhaust system by soaking the cast iron parts for a couple of days in ca 10% EDTA solution during which  I also assisted by chiseling and application of a MAP gas blow touch.

The crud in these fittings is a composite of carbon, hydrocarbon residues from exhaust gasses (somewhat combustible), calcium carbonate and iron oxides.

My cast iron fittings came back to grey bare metal although heavily pitted from corrosion. The motor is 10 year old with 500 hours on the clock.

I have also dip coated the cleaned fittings in an epoxy paint - Amerlock 2k and when properly cured will resurface the mating faces by rubbing those faces with 800 wet/dry paper held against a price of flat glass.

Amerlok 2k is widely used as a protective coating for structural steel and required minimal preparation. It sticks well. forms a very hard surface and  mix ratios are not so critical.

Hope this helps.

PS I have also coated the stainless ends of the waterlock silencer.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #4 on: July 30 2014, 23:15 »
The scale that forms in heads is calcium carbonate. ... a 10% hydrochloric acid will do it much faster (minutes)...

I think the scale that forms in the heads outlet pipes is more complex, perhaps a urea salt. Hydrochloric Acid did not dissolve my test sample over a 7 day period.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #5 on: August 02 2014, 16:49 »
Yes I have used it on my exhaust system by soaking the cast iron parts for a couple of days in ca 10% EDTA solution...
Do you have any left? I'd like to try an experiment, so I need a small sample. Beer tokens are available.

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: August 18 2014, 12:27 »
The scale that forms in heads is calcium carbonate. ... a 10% hydrochloric acid will do it much faster (minutes)...

I think the scale that forms in the heads outlet pipes is more complex, perhaps a urea salt. Hydrochloric Acid did not dissolve my test sample over a 7 day period.

I am not sure that is correct - urea is highly water soluble and therefore cannot form a solid scale.  Also I am not sure where it would come from.
Regards 
Aquapore

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: August 23 2014, 11:45 »
I found it a heck of a lot easier to replace the outlet pipes which had become seriously blocked with calciferous deposits making the pump work so much harder.