Author Topic: Residual current circuit breaker keeps tripping  (Read 3788 times)

Wallace

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30C
  • Boat Year: 2007
Residual current circuit breaker keeps tripping
« on: August 09 2014, 15:48 »
Hope one of you can help me.
I have a 2007 Bavaria 30 which keeps tripping its residual current circuit breaker when connected to shore power. I am not using it to heat the water in the calorifier and have only been using the fridge and water pump in an effort to stop it switching off. This worked for a couple of days but as of last night it is tripping all of the time. Any ideas?
Wallace

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Residual current circuit breaker keeps tripping
« Reply #1 on: August 09 2014, 16:39 »
Hi Wallace, as you are only using the fridge, the water pump, and presumably the cabin lights, as all these come off the 12 volt circuits, it is unlikely that any of them will be causing the problem. Essentially the shore current, whether it be 220 volts or 110 volts, will go only to the mains distribution circuits onboard, i.e. to your mains power sockets, to the mains side of the calorifier used for heating the water, or to the battery charger. If your circuit breaker is continually tripping, the fault has to be within the mains circuits only. On my B36, the calorifier can be isolated as it is only plugged in to a mains type power socket located just forward of the calorifier, so it is easy to unplug. Once unplugged it will then be possible to see if your circuit breaker continues to trip. By disconnecting each of the mains circuits you should be able to determine which of them is faulty. Good luck, and be careful to unplug your shore power before you do anything. If you are not comfortable working with mains circuits get an electrician in to do the job for you.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #2 on: August 09 2014, 17:03 »
If you look at the entry "ESW 202 panel - How do I open it" started by "Pebbles," it may be that both he and you have suffered the same problem. He spoke of replacing his RCD unit so it's possible that yours may be the only faulty part in your system.

Wallace

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: August 10 2014, 10:43 »
Thanks. Will give these a go.
Wallace

Wallace

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: August 10 2014, 14:46 »
Hi Salty
Unplugged the calorifier as you suggested and everything seems to be fine again. Not sure my skills are up to checking and fitting new parts to the calorifier but it definitely seems to be the problem.
Many thanks
Wallace

iain789

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #5 on: August 16 2014, 11:27 »
It's a relatively easy job to change the electric water heating element in the calorifier. First of all I would check the circuit by plugging another small electrical appliance into the socket near the calorifier and make sure that it works without tripping the RCD. The heating element just unscrews (after removing the thermostat - it just pulls out) and can be replaced like for like. The gentleman I spoke to at Penguin Engineering (Graham Wickham) was very helpful. More info can be found in this thread - http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,191.msg924/topicseen.html#msg924 .

How do I know this? Replaced the element yesterday and I am a DIY duffer.