Author Topic: Bavaria 41  (Read 2904 times)

whitcd

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Bavaria 41
« on: September 25 2014, 13:57 »
Does anyone have any experience of sailing or owning the new Bavaria 41 (I believe it the old 40 hull with a new topside)?  I'm seriously tempted  ;)

1055john

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Bavaria 41
« Reply #1 on: September 27 2014, 14:41 »
Hi, I've had a Bavaria 40 since 2011. Same hull as the new 41. Very few snags. Some of the teak on the swim platform lifted, and Volvo replaced the cockpit control panel.All done under warranty quickly and without fuss. Boat well put together. Only negatives. Upholstery foam a bit thin and taps/shower heads a bit cheap. All of which have been improved on the newer version. Cooker/Oven is limited but works. Boat has been used a lot. All of the interior carpentry sturdy but not as good to look at as the woodwork on an Oyster.

Sails well and close to the wind. Needs reefing 18-20 knots. If too much sail up rounds up predictably. Performance down wind a bit pedestrian and real sailors will want some sort of additional sail. Friends who have sailed the boat describe it as stiffer than their older model Bavarias. Sails well in light winds. With a clean hull will roll along at 7.5kt in 14+kt winds. Tends to go faster when it is sailed flatter. Easy and predictable to sail and very safe. Have been out in Force 8 ( no sails up) perfectly safe....and sailed force 6/7 reefed again felt safe.

Great family cruising boat, well put together and fantastic value. The new 41 has some real improvements and if in the market for a new boat I would be very tempted.

whitcd

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria 41
« Reply #2 on: September 30 2014, 13:47 »
Many thanks for your reply - very helpful.  I have just placed the deposit  ;D